Hello, first time poster, please let me know if I need to provide additional detail.

I'm on a Samsung S8 with software updated 9/6/2019 (let me know if there is more specific info needed).

Recently I've noticed that I am not seeing the new mail notification in my notification bar. It seems with most apps there are 2 places to set the notification preferences (one on settings > apps and the other within Gmail itself) but I'm still not seeing the icon indicating new mail.

For settings I have it set to:
    Notifications: Allowed
    Notification style: Pop up on screen
    Sound: Silent (I like to see it but not hear it)

The Gmail in app settings are:
    Notifications: All
    Inbox Notifications: Label Notifications and Notify for every message are ticked

Is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Thanks in advance.
    09-16-2019 09:43 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Do you notice this only when you initially wake the phone from sleep, or does this happen when you're actively using the phone? Any power-saving modes turned on, or 3rd party battery-saver or "RAM booster" apps installed?
    09-16-2019 08:27 PM
    This happens all times (in other words regardless of if it's sleeping or if I'm actively using it I get no notifications).

I do not have power saving on and there are no battery saver or RAM booster apps installed. I've tried restarting, multiple times but that doesn't seem to help.
    09-17-2019 08:51 AM
    Go to the Battery Optimization option in the system settings and turn off optimization for Gmail, see if that helps.
    09-17-2019 11:44 PM
    Update to close out the thread: I did turn off optimization for email and sent an email to myself. I did not see a notification.

Just to grasp at straws, I went into settings > apps and disabled the app, restarted the phone and then enabled the app.

Notifications appear to work now - and I don't know if it was the optimization or the disable/enable. I'm thinking that I didn't give the phone enough chance to generate a notification after I made the optimization adjustment.

*Edited to add: now that I've got the notifications up and running, looking at the settings - what's the difference between "Silent" and "Silent and Minimized"? During this process I've adjusted it so many times I don't recall what the setting was before. In the past, I would see the Gmail icon on my home screen and then on the notification bar once I opened the phone.

In any event, it seems to work so I appreciate your help!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    09-18-2019 09:30 AM
    Well, glad it's working! I think the Minimized notification refers to notifications that show up in the notification panel, but only show minimal information at half the height (like Google notifications for weather or traffic):

Gmail new mail notifications not showing-screenshot-sep-18-2019-9_30_01-pm-.jpg

When I go to the notification settings for the Google app (in Settings>Apps), the details for the Weather notifications show that Silent is on and the Minimized toggle is on as well.
    09-19-2019 12:33 AM