I have a galaxy j7 prime. Unfortunately I can't even say what OS is running because I can't access any of the normal menus or the home screen. The launcher keeps failing so the only way I can access apps is from the pull-down menu when I have notifications.

Is there a way to deal with this? I haven't downloaded anything weird that I know of. Is there anything short of a factory reset that would help? Thankfully I have pretty much everything I think I'd want to save on an SD card because otherwise I wouldn't even know how to back anything up.

I've seen on other launcher questions that people say go to the system settings.. but I can't even access that! Please help!
    09-16-2019 03:17 PM
    Welcome to the forums. Have you already tried safe mode?

I would recommend you to create an account so you can reply on this thread.
    09-16-2019 03:38 PM
    I'm the OP. I tried safe mode and I had the same problem
    09-16-2019 03:42 PM
    I'm the OP. I tried safe mode and I had the same problem
    Thanks for registering. That's very strange, Launcher3 is not the stock launcher in Samsung devices and it shouldn't be enabled in safe mode. Can you access the settings swiping down from the status bar? Is your phone rooted?
    09-16-2019 03:50 PM
    Thanks for registering. That's very strange, Launcher3 is not the stock launcher in Samsung devices and it shouldn't be enabled in safe mode. Can you access the settings swiping down from the status bar? Is your phone rooted?
    I've realized I can get to the settings menu by backtracking from the notification settings option on the status bar. I'm not sure what to do in the settings though, I basically just cleared the caches but there wasn't a way to alter the launcher from there as far as I could tell. The phone isn't rooted either, I've never tried to alter the software before.
    09-16-2019 04:17 PM
    I've realized I can get to the settings menu by backtracking from the notification settings option on the status bar. I'm not sure what to do in the settings though, I basically just cleared the caches but there wasn't a way to alter the launcher from there as far as I could tell.
    Try a couple of things. First go to the security settings and see which apps are enabled as device administrator. If you see Launcher 3 in there uncheck and restart the phone. It's possible that you could need booting into safe mode for this process.

Not sure about the right steps on your model but look for the 'Home' settings and switch back to One UI or Touchwizz.
    09-16-2019 04:21 PM
    I've realized I can get to the settings menu by backtracking from the notification settings option on the status bar. I'm not sure what to do in the settings though, I basically just cleared the caches but there wasn't a way to alter the launcher from there as far as I could tell. The phone isn't rooted either, I've never tried to alter the software before.
    In settings>apps>3 dots upper right corner tap it>default home choose stock launcher
    Javier P likes this.
    09-16-2019 04:22 PM
    In settings>apps>3 dots upper right corner tap it>default home choose stock launcher
    Thank you! I think I'm getting closer... I went to the default apps and it only had one for the launcher (com.sec.android.app.launcher.activities.LauncherActivity). If I was able to install another launcher, I might solve the problem then? The only thing is I don't know how to access the play store from the menus available to me now. Is there a way to open it from the settings menu?
    09-16-2019 04:30 PM
    Thank you! I think I'm getting closer... I went to the default apps and it only had one for the launcher (com.sec.android.app.launcher.activities.LauncherActivity). If I was able to install another launcher, I might solve the problem then? The only thing is I don't know how to access the play store from the menus available to me now. Is there a way to open it from the settings menu?
    Try this. Settings - apps - select any app that you downloaded - scroll all the way down and tap 'App details'. It should open the Play Store and let you navigate to download any app. Try downloading Nova Launcher.
    09-16-2019 04:35 PM
    You didn't see Samsung launcher by default?
    Try typing in search bar google play store

You have this rooted? Or package disabler on it ?
    09-16-2019 04:36 PM
    Thank you! I think I'm getting closer... I went to the default apps and it only had one for the launcher (com.sec.android.app.launcher.activities.LauncherActivity).
    That's even stranger, no trace of Samsung stock launcher in there. Is your phone rooted?
    mustang7757 likes this.
    09-16-2019 04:37 PM
    Try this. Settings - apps - select any app that you downloaded - scroll all the way down and tap 'App details'. It should open the Play Store and let you navigate to download any app. Try downloading Nova Launcher.
    It worked!! Thanks so much to you guys!!! I really didn't want to have to factory reset. When I installed the new launcher the problem went away.

I really don't know what the source of the problem was. Never rooted the phone, don't know what happened to the stock launcher either if launcher 3 wasn't the default. I've had some problems with storage lately so I used CC cleaner just to wipe some things, but otherwise I haven't even downloaded new apps in a while. It's up to date running Android 8.1.0.
    Javier P and mustang7757 like this.
    09-16-2019 04:50 PM
    It worked!! Thanks so much to you guys!!! I really didn't want to have to factory reset.

I really don't know what the source of the problem was. Never rooted the phone, don't know what happened to the stock launcher either if launcher 3 wasn't the default. I've had some problems with storage lately so I used CC cleaner just to wipe some things, but otherwise I haven't even downloaded new apps in a while. It's up to date running Android 8.1.0.
    Cool ..glad its working
    09-16-2019 04:54 PM
    It worked!! Thanks so much to you guys!!! I really didn't want to have to factory reset.

Excellent! Glad it helped. Now with a working launcher dig deeper to know what's going on. Keep us posted.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    09-16-2019 04:55 PM