Why did all of the timestamps change to today's date when transferring photos to SD card?

echan07

Sep 16, 2019
Visit site
I asked this earlier but am now registered...

I transferred a folder of downloaded photos (from texts, FB, etc) from internal storage to my SD card and now all of the pics are time stamped with today's date. Is there a way to fix this? My gallery is a hot mess now. I have a Samsung S7.

Thanks

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I asked this earlier but am now registered...

I transferred a folder of downloaded photos (from texts, FB, etc) from internal storage to my SD card and now all of the pics are time stamped with today's date. Is there a way to fix this? My gallery is a hot mess now. I have a Samsung S7.

Thanks
Hi, welcome!
It shows that because today date is when the transfer happened.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's hard for me to comment, since that's not how I organize my pics. My understanding is that file operations like Move or Copy will timestamp the file to the time the operation was done. The problem is how the gallery app you're using sorts photos -- a good gallery app should use the EXIF data that's embedded in the photo, which includes the time/date that the photo was taken. But there are plenty of gallery apps that only use the time/date associated with the file creation or file edit.

One of our Trusted Members @ManiacJoe often suggests this gallery app that sorts using EXIF data: Piktures

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's hard for me to comment, since that's not how I organize my pics. My understanding is that file operations like Move or Copy will timestamp the file to the time the operation was done. The problem is how the gallery app you're using sorts photos -- a good gallery app should use the EXIF data that's embedded in the photo, which includes the time/date that the photo was taken. But there are plenty of gallery apps that only use the time/date associated with the file creation or file edit.

One of our Trusted Members @ManiacJoe often suggests this gallery app that sorts using EXIF data: Piktures
Yeah he's pretty good with this .

echan07

Sep 16, 2019
Visit site
So possibly if I use a different gallery app it would sort them correctly? It just seems quite dumb that simply transferring to an SD card would change the date of the picture. I've now got several hundred pictures from today in my gallery. I've tried to Google and found people with similar problems but not many solutions.

I'm using whatever gallery app that came with the phone- icon is an orange flower.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
The way it works in the Windows world - moving keeps the "created" date the same while copying changes that date. This is because copying is creating an entirely new file. However, moving is the LAST thing you want to do as you risk loss of the file if the move is interrupted (moving takes it away from the original location, leaving no way to recover).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So possibly if I use a different gallery app it would sort them correctly?

This depends on the EXIF data in the photo. If these are photos taken by someone's camera app (and not a random jpg downloaded from a website), then a good gallery app should be able to sort by Date Taken. Give Piktures a try and see if it works.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livinlavidaloca