Why is my default contacts saving location keeps resetting?

Taher Ism

Sep 17, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I had a samsung note9 and now i have a note10+ and i had the same problem at both of them.
Once i wanted to save a contact, and i was surprised that it asked me where do i wanna save it, on phone, on sim or on my gmail account, so i was surprised because i already had my default location set on my gmail account since forever.
I went to my contacts app and i set my default location again on my gmail account, and after some hours, it was reset again, and now every time i want to save a new contact, it will ask me again where do i wanna save it.
Please help.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Each new contact entry allows you the choice - there's no "sticky default". Modifying one keeps it where it is, but entering a new one always gives you the choice. Some of this is holdover (at one time, the SIM was the only storage a user had access to, so people got used to storing contacts on SIMs [which was better than around the turn of the century when there was no contact storage at all - you had to dial each number], and a lot of people still don't want Google to "have access" to their contacts [anyone at Google who has the ability to access your backups never would - very few of their server developers have that kind of access]), but saving each contact to Google is the best bet (they back up their servers daily (if not more often) so even if your phone gets run over, you don't lose your contacts.

The choice should be the first line, and it should be at Google if you don't do anything. Samsung may have changed that default, but if they did, shame on them.

[I'm linking your first post to your account.]