Has anyone bought generic unbranded smartphones

supashaka

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
1) like those available on ebay etc.? I'm hoping someone can advise pls! I'm a very light user mostly for wsapp and sometimes maps/gps when walking (no gaming and occasionally watch youtube videos) so was hoping to find something £40-£50.
[Link removed]

There are others I'm looking at but they don't mention anything about the processor (sometimes it'll mention the number of cores but no name)? The specs seem way better than even xiaomi phones for the same money, I know there's gonna be no support updates etc. how important is that? Couldn't I just search for a custom ROM, try to upgrade to higher android version etc? Would it be difficult/impossible to find roms for an unbranded phone?
Also I've read that there's a possibility they could just be sneaky re-brands so potentially could be getting a xiaomi etc. phone for less?

2) I'm also considering paying a bit more if unbranded is a no-go. Xiaomi Redmi 7 3GB/32GB around £100 vs Xiaomi Mi Play 4GB/64GB if it's £6 more?
I like the extra ram and storage for only £6 more but the battery seems better on R7 and larger screen

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
1) Leave unbranded phones alone. You will get no support from the manufacturer. The guys in the know will look to root and offer custom ROMs for mainstream devices but not unbranded devices.

2. Consider the Mi Ply as 32 gig of storage is low, these days