The screen on my S9 is orange. Any suggestions on how to proceed when I cant see anything?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

The screen is orangish/yellow albeit the very top whereby I can see my notifications. I am able to answer phone calls from memory, but when trying to troubleshoot and adjust some settings to try and fix the problem, I fear my trial and error method may have changed settings even further. When plugging the phone into a computer via USB I cannot even see the prompts to allow a third party program to transfer the files that are on the phone. Do I just need to get a new phone altogether?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If the screen is cracked, some of the liquid (the L in LCD stands for Liquid) will spill all over the phone, eventually covering it up.

If replacing the screen is a lot cheaper than replacing the phone (which it probably will be for an S9), have the screen replaced. (The digitizer id the top glass layer of the screen that senses where your finger is. The digitizer can be replaced separately if it cracks, but replacing the screen means the whole screen, which comes with the digitizer - and which is what you need.)

In the future, keep the phone in a TPU case with a lip that's higher than the screen. That usually keeps the screen from brealing. (Of course if you drop something onto the screen, or press the phone against something [in a pocket or purse], nothing will protect it. It's all glass, and has to be treated like glass.)

egrim13

Sep 19, 2019
Visit site
Hey thanks so much...i can get a replacement phone, i was just wondering if there's anything I can do in the meantime while I'm waiting for them to send it....after I make that phone call, that is, lol. and i've had one of those zagg glass curve screen protectors for over a year now, but in this tiny little town I have not been able to find anyone who will put it on...they have a lifetime warranty so I've been able to send it in twice now because I've effed up when putting it on...and no one here physically sells it, therefore no will even try because they don't want to be held liable if they can't put it on correctly....highly irritating but oh well. hey, thanks again for taking the time out to answer my question. and I will take your advice in the future lol.
cheers and have a great day

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The screen protector will keep the screen from shattering (it crumbles instead), but it won't keep it from breaking. The main use of the screen protector is to keep the screen from scratching. If the protector scratches, you can replace it for a lot less than replacing the screen.

Your carrier should put the protector on for you - but with a curved screen, a full-adhesive protector sometimes produces moiré patterns. (One with adhesive only on the edges usually produces little taps when you touch the screen, and that annoys some people.) About the only protector I've seen that's actually good is the Whitestone Dome - but that's $40. (It's easy to apply, it has liquid adhesive, a tray to hold everything just right - and the adhesive cures with UV light - which they include.) https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tonedome.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Ds9&token=Wm7mfyjB

But it still won't protect the screen from being hit. The protector and the screen will both break.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Disregard my comments , thought you were OP lol
No worries.

Back to the issue at hand, this is one of the reasons I've come to really dislike the curved screen concept - now that I'm on my second one with an S9. The S8 I had met its end by slipping out of my hand while getting out of my car. I mere two foot fall to the ground - with a case on it - but meeting a small pebble face down right in the upper left corner. Turned the whole screen bright yellow-green, with a barely visible phone UI background. Just enough to get SideSync going to mirror the phone on my PC and get off what I needed.

It did get to a point where I just couldn't see where to tap anymore, even to start SideSync up, and that's where I had to just give up on it.

My oldest son had an S8 too, and cracked that screen as well. His cracked along the edge where you couldn't easily see it, but the screen still worked. Eventually, the crack started running (like a car windshield crack from a rock hit), and ran along the bottom. Screen still works and we use that phone as a backup, but these things shouldn't be that brittle.

I know that even a flat screen will break if hit just right, but a decent case can at least better protect the edges.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No worries.

Back to the issue at hand, this is one of the reasons I've come to really dislike the curved screen concept - now that I'm on my second one with an S9. The S8 I had met its end by slipping out of my hand while getting out of my car. I mere two foot fall to the ground - with a case on it - but meeting a small pebble face down right in the upper left corner. Turned the whole screen bright yellow-green, with a barely visible phone UI background. Just enough to get SideSync going to mirror the phone on my PC and get off what I needed.

It did get to a point where I just couldn't see where to tap anymore, even to start SideSync up, and that's where I had to just give up on it.

My oldest son had an S8 too, and cracked that screen as well. His cracked along the edge where you couldn't easily see it, but the screen still worked. Eventually, the crack started running (like a car windshield crack from a rock hit), and ran along the bottom. Screen still works and we use that phone as a backup, but these things shouldn't be that brittle.

I know that even a flat screen will break if hit just right, but a decent case can at least better protect the edges.
I use a white stone dome on all my curved Samsung devices , my Note 9 slipped out of my hand from about 2 or 3 feet and skid across the cement floor . The only got damage was the glass screen protector and right under the s pen scuff mark. I think if I didn't have a screen protector like that, my screen would've need replacing.