WhatsApp restore issues help.

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
I've always used Google drive to backup my WhatsApp messages , however today when attempting to restore I get the attached message. I have plenty of local drive space available and on a wifi connection. Done this plenty of times over the years without issues until today. Any advice please?20190923_120346.jpg20190923_120404.jpg

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
WhatsApp and Google Drive got an update recently and a couple of days ago I had an error when WhatsApp tried the scheduled backup. I needed to grant some permissions for WhatsApp to access their Drive folders again. It's not the first time that I've done a backup with this phone so assume the extra permission came after those updates.

Maybe it's not related but it sounds plausible. I granted the permissions from WhatsApp app itself and it opened Google Drive screen automatically, not sure how that could be done in your case, with the first install.

I'll dig in my settings and see what I can find.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Try this. Go to settings - accounts - Google - select the account you are using for WhatsApp - tap 'Google account' - select the Security tab and make sure that WhatsApp had access to Google Drive.Screenshot_20190923-143951.jpeg

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
WhatsApp and Google Drive got an update recently and a couple of days ago I had an error when WhatsApp tried the scheduled backup. I needed to grant some permissions for WhatsApp to access their Drive folders again. It's not the first time that I've done a backup with this phone so assume the extra permission came after those updates.

Maybe it's not related but it sounds plausible. I granted the permissions from WhatsApp app itself and it opened Google Drive screen automatically, not sure how that could be done in your case, with the first install.

I'll dig in my settings and see what I can find.
I went into WhatsApp permissions and granted it all access available. Issue is, now I have to wait 2 hours before a phone call to get verification numbers .

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
Try this. Go to settings - accounts - Google - select the account you are using for WhatsApp - tap 'Google account' - select the Security tab and make sure that WhatsApp had access to Google Drive.View attachment 310534
Cheers it was there, I removed and see what happens when I get allowed to receive a verification code in a couple of hours. Meaning to re grant it access from scratch.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Finally timed out to be able to receive a WhatsApp verification code. It asked me to give permission access to google drive ( which I had removed intentionally earlier) but still no joy. Same error message.
Ugh, not sure what to suggest. Maybe you could try a local backup instead of using the latest one from Drive. You would need to transfer the proper files and folders from the other phone though. A pain, I know.

See this.

https://support.google.com/drive/thread/2246683?hl=en

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
Which phone is it? OP7 or Note 10?
Local won't work as I put my blind faith in the backup to google drive being successful. My local device that I backed it to Google drive from was a Huawei device which has since been wiped clean. I have attempted to restore that Google drive backup to two separate devices Samsung and ZTE with same error message.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Local won't work as I put my blind faith in the backup to google drive being successful. My local device that I backed it to Google drive from was a Huawei device which has since been wiped clean. I have attempted to restore that Google drive backup to two separate devices Samsung and ZTE with same error message.
That doesn't look good then. Who knows if the backup is corrupted in some way.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You used same Google account for drive on all these devices?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Do you get to a point where you can select only to restore chats and messages and forget about the media files?

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
You used same Google account for drive on all these devices?
Yes, on both devices WhatsApp detects the google drive backup that was performed last night and both devices it fails with same error message.
Moral of my story, don't be dumb and assume the backup is successful just because WhatsApp said so lol, that's if the backup is indeed corrupted.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes, on both devices WhatsApp detects the google drive backup that was performed last night and both devices it fails with same error message.
Moral of my story, don't be dumb and assume the backup is successful just because WhatsApp said so lol, that's if the backup is indeed corrupted.
I agree there, but to be corrupted possible , but I think more likely not , the message is telling you a error and it's for network , so go by that as I believe only wifi its default to back it up and restore ...before going crazy thinking maybe this or that , start with the error it gave you network. Maybe reboot your home router and start from there

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
Also this can happen if you try restoring in short time, multiple times .
Well after each uninstall and re install ( because WhatsApp only allows restore on initial setup) I have to wait 3 hours before I can get a phone verification code to try again. SMH.

On a side note, I was looking at some of other backups not specific to WhatsApp. I noticed that I have Samsung smartswitch backup dated 5/30 on my PC and another Smartswitch backup dated 8/30 on SD card. The SD card smart switch backup doesnt allow me to manually select an app to restore , but the PC based one does. Although its size isn't too large , it's about 55mb. Is there a way to select a specific app from Smartswitch backup via sd card?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well after each uninstall and re install ( because WhatsApp only allows restore on initial setup) I have to wait 3 hours before I can get a phone verification code to try again. SMH.

On a side note, I was looking at some of other backups not specific to WhatsApp. I noticed that I have Samsung smartswitch backup dated 5/30 on my PC and another Smartswitch backup dated 8/30 on SD card. The SD card smart switch backup doesnt allow me to manually select an app to restore , but the PC based one does. Although its size isn't too large , it's about 55mb. Is there a way to select a specific app from Smartswitch backup via sd card?
I believe it only lets you back up all SD card not what's individual on it