Urgent, Need Past notifications on a Note 8

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hey everyone, I already installed Nova Launcher. I already set developer options to on. I use a Note 8 and when I scroll down under Nova Activities it only gives me one option "Notifications" and it doesn't do anything there is no option for Notification log or settings. This was an urgent message I can't pull up and that person may need my help. How can I get this back so i can see what's going on?? I don't understand why my phone isn't showing it.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. In some models you can find the notifications log activity under Settings, in others it comes under Notifications or even separated as Notification log itself. If I recall correctly in some Samsung devices is under Settings.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Notifications are not stored anywhere. If you had a message from someone it will be in your messages app
I think the OP is trying to create a widget for the notifications log. In some devices like Pixel, OnePlus or Moto this is quite easy but in others, like Samsung or LG, you need a third party app with access to the Activities, such as Nova.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Go through the process of adding the Settings widget to the homescreen. When it prompts you for which system setting, select Notification Log. Now see if you can find the past notification there.

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
I think the OP is trying to create a widget for the notifications log. In some devices like Pixel, OnePlus or Moto this is quite easy but in others, like Samsung or LG, you need a third party app with access to the Activities, such as Nova.

OP states this was an urgent message from someone who needs help. I figured that would be an SMS

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
OP states this was an urgent message from someone who needs help. I figured that would be an SMS
Depending on the app you can see the whole message in the notification log, including the stock Messages app in OnePlus and Moto devices. It's not clear if the OP deleted that message completely or only dismissed the notification. Either way creating a widget for the log will work, unless it's a very old notification.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I believe Galactic is correct, once you delete a notification can't get it back , if you swiped it away just look in the app that u think gave it .
Agreed, the thing is that if the OP went over the long route of accessing the notifications log is probably because the solution is not so easy as opening the messages app. Maybe it was deleted, maybe they don't know which app sent it or any other possibility. Unfortunately we'll only know if they come back and create an account.

KyrTheEagle

Sep 25, 2019
Visit site
Hey guys this is the OP. It was a message on Tumblr. They eluded to the possibility of self harm, messaged me and my samsung note 8 showed the notification but removed it before I could view it and then i couldn't access it on tumblr at all cause they blocked me. I just want to make sure they're ok. I may just report this to tumblr so they can look into it to make sure they're ok. I don't get why an entire conversation wiped and my inability to view notifications is really worrying me. I got Nova to work but it's over an hour ago so it doesn't show...Maybe just reporting it is my best option.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hey guys this is the OP. It was a message on Tumblr. They eluded to the possibility of self harm, messaged me and my samsung note 8 showed the notification but removed it before I could view it and then i couldn't access it on tumblr at all cause they blocked me. I just want to make sure they're ok. I may just report this to tumblr so they can look into it to make sure they're ok. I don't get why an entire conversation wiped and my inability to view notifications is really worrying me. I got Nova to work but it's over an hour ago so it doesn't show...Maybe just reporting it is my best option.
Make sure you have view all notification enable in status bar by going into settings then notification , status bar all

Edit: Welcome to AC forums!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for registering! There's no such short time limit in the log but there's a max number for how many records it keeps.

I have no idea how Tumblr works but I wouldn't be surprised if the whole message is not registered in the log due to the temporary messages feature or any other privacy concern. And here we enter a grey area, unfortunately. If you have been blocked there's not much you, or us, can do to recover those lost messages. As you already said, the best approach could be reporting your concerns to Tumblr and see if they can help.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Oh, by the way, where did you finally found the log activity? It could be very helpful for future reference.

KyrTheEagle

Sep 25, 2019
Visit site
It's not letting me quote respond, but I only see 11am -10am on the nova notifications log...is there another way to check the log on a samsung phone for past notifications? the apps only show from when you download them. At least I have that for future notifications

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
It's not letting me quote respond, but I only see 11am -10am on the nova notifications log...is there another way to check the log on a samsung phone for past notifications? the apps only show from when you download them. At least I have that for future notifications
The log clears after you restart the phone, not sure if that's your case here.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Download nice cache from Samsung play store see if anything there

KyrTheEagle

Sep 25, 2019
Visit site
I don't see Nice Cache on the samsung galaxy store, but i got nice catch but its not showing me anything else.

I didn't reboot my phone..i read somewhere it only shows the last 50 notifications on nova...and since ive been trying to get ANYTHING to work its past 50....surely its still in my phone but I just can't figure out how to view it.

my phone was annoying cause i saw notifications from god knows when..this is the opposite..

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't see Nice Cache on the samsung galaxy store, but i got nice catch but its not showing me anything else.

I didn't reboot my phone..i read somewhere it only shows the last 50 notifications on nova...and since ive been trying to get ANYTHING to work its past 50....surely its still in my phone but I just can't figure out how to view it.

my phone was annoying cause i saw notifications from god knows when..this is the opposite..
Look in your file manager under Tumblr and open

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon