I got a new android phone and started using whatsapp. All the groups and contacts got transferred seamlessly from my old phone but not the old whatsapp chats, which were backed up on googledrive. Now I would like to start backing up the new chats (I thought it had kept doing but today I realized it wasn't) and would like to know if there is a way to preserve the old backup for future restoration if needed (or if there is a way to restore it without deleting my recent conversations)
    09-25-2019 01:21 PM
    Hi, welcome to Android Forums

I'd like to recommend creating a account so me or other members can assist you, as guest have limitations in replying here and if we need further Information to communicate with you.

I'll provide a link to register, please come back to your post so we can further assist you . Thank you
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=409154
    09-25-2019 01:52 PM
    Registered now, thanks! User name is mrod902
    09-25-2019 06:45 PM
    Why is it that it didn't use the backup in the first place? If you use the same Google account and the same phone number I believe it should have prompted you to restore the backup when you signed into the app the first time.

Anyway - this FAQ page may be of help in your situation - https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/android/...tegory=5245251
    09-25-2019 07:09 PM
    It did not prompt me for some reason... and no, I looked at the FAQ page and does not address the issue
    09-25-2019 09:01 PM
    Registered now, thanks! User name is mrod902
    Hi, welcome!
    09-25-2019 09:06 PM
    It did not prompt me for some reason... and no, I looked at the FAQ page and does not address the issue
    From your old phone to the new one same number and Gmail account?
    09-25-2019 09:22 PM
    Yes. same everything. Whatsapp groups and contacts transferred all right as well as all the apps and everything else linked to the google account.
    09-26-2019 08:24 AM
    Yes. same everything. Whatsapp groups and contacts transferred all right as well as all the apps and everything else linked to the google account.
    Ok , good just make sure back up is on daily in WhatsApp you should be fine
    09-26-2019 09:49 AM
    Sorry Ambassador, thanks for the reply, however, that was not my question. I am aware of the settings for backups in Whatsapp. Below I have pasted my original question, which has to do with preserving the original backup of previous chats in googledrive without overwriting it. Here is the question again:

I got a new android phone and started using whatsapp. All the groups and contacts got transferred seamlessly from my old phone but not the old whatsapp chats, which were backed up on googledrive. Now I would like to start backing up the new chats (I thought it had kept doing but today I realized it wasn't) and would like to know if there is a way to preserve the old backup for future restoration if needed (or if there is a way to restore it without deleting my new conversations).

There was a time lapse of one week until I realized that I never got prompted to restore the old chats or to back up the new ones. In the meantime, there were several new chats but the backup in googledrive is a week old. I am assuming that if I start backing up again, I will overwrite the old backup with all the old chats because the new backup will replace the old one. I am trying to see if I can salvage the old one. I hope the question is clearer now.
    09-26-2019 01:11 PM
    Sorry Ambassador, thanks for the reply, however, that was not my question. I am aware of the settings for backups in Whatsapp. Below I have pasted my original question, which has to do with preserving the original backup of previous chats in googledrive without overwriting it. Here is the question again:

I got a new android phone and started using whatsapp. All the groups and contacts got transferred seamlessly from my old phone but not the old whatsapp chats, which were backed up on googledrive. Now I would like to start backing up the new chats (I thought it had kept doing but today I realized it wasn't) and would like to know if there is a way to preserve the old backup for future restoration if needed (or if there is a way to restore it without deleting my new conversations).

There was a time lapse of one week until I realized that I never got prompted to restore the old chats or to back up the new ones. In the meantime, there were several new chats but the backup in googledrive is a week old. I am assuming that if I start backing up again, I will overwrite the old backup with all the old chats because the new backup will replace the old one. I am trying to see if I can salvage the old one. I hope the question is clearer now.
    You can call me Stang
    Sorry misunderstood
    My WhatsApp backup usually get stored in Google drive and it accumulation of new and old , I don't get prompt of it doing back ups as it does automatically. I'm not sure once u have few back ups in Google drive if you can choose from them.
    09-26-2019 01:17 PM
    Unfortunately only the latest backup is kept in Google Drive. As far as I know there's no way to recover old ones unless you had a local backup on your phone or SD card.
    09-26-2019 01:21 PM
    Unfortunately only the latest backup is kept in Google Drive. As far as I know there's no way to recover old ones unless you had a local backup on your phone or SD card.
    Your correct ..
    09-26-2019 01:41 PM
    If you have a copy of the old backup file, someone has figured out how to merge 2 WhatsApp backup files. See [GUIDE] Merge Multiple Whatsapp Backup Files Into One.
    09-26-2019 01:45 PM