Mail images opening in browser

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Every time I open an email that contains embedded images, each of those images opens in a separate, new, browser window and the browser app moves to foreground.

I am using Bluemail, Android 4.4.2 on a Lenovo Tab2A7-20F. The problem only occurs on the tablet (my Samsung phone views emails correctly) and has only recently started happening. I presume it must be a setting somewhere but I can't find it.

imsgc

Sep 29, 2019
Visit site
I have encountered the exact same error. It's new, it started happening several months ago. THIS IS A SERIOUS PRIVACY FLAW! The images that load are usually tagged with unique identifiers, so the sender of the email message will know that the message has been received and opened. This will, for instance, confirm to a spammer that your email address is valid. It's also a major pain in the a$$ because just opening a message containing remote images causes the browser to load, and then a number of tabs open, one for each remote image--in some cases more than a dozen.

I reported this to BlueMail support a couple months ago, but they did not reply. I was hoping it would be fixed by now. I'm about to give up on BlueMail and replace it with K-9.
:(

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It sounds more like malware than anything BlueMail is doing. Try opening a picture of the same type from your file manager and see if it opens in an image app or the browser. If it opens in the browser, clear defaults in the browser (Settings > Apps > the browser > Clear defaults). If it doesn't, install a different email app, or uninstall BlueMail, restart the phone and install BlueMail from the play store again (the app could have been compromised by a Trojan). If that doesn't fix it ...

You'll just have to find some other email app. (The latest review I'm seeing, from 2 days ago, says "The service of the developers is worst".)

It stinks, when you've finally found the perfect email app, to have to switch - I've been there. (I finally ended up just using Gmail - there's really nothing great out there any more, like check boxes to select emails for deletion. One thing that Samsung got right back in 2013.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000