I can't open, install, or delete apks

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

This problem just suddenly happened. Earlier this morning I installed 5 apk games no problem then a couple of hours later I downloaded another one but to my surprise I can't open it much less install it. It says: "Unable to open file" furthermore: "You don't have any apps that can open this type of file. You can search for one on Play Store". See all of a sudden I need another app to install them but after trying a couple of "apk installer" none worked and I'm still stuck. Now I've decided to just delete them but to my surprise, again, I can't delete them. It says: "Failed to delete files". Please help me, thank you.

Prime X

Oct 1, 2019
Visit site
There may have been a default action that got cleared following an update, however, My Files should work. Can you open my files and try and load an apk?

I can open My Files however it's when I try to open the files I want to install that's when the system says unable to open file. Also I am 100% sure there was no update nor I did any sort of change to my phone like I said everything was working fine a couple of hours before I had this problem. It's just really a complete mystery. And what's even more frustrating is that I can't delete them.

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Where did you download the APK from? If you look at it in your file explorer, what is the extensionon it? It's possible it's not in the correct APK format and you can try to rename it to change the extension to ".apk".

Prime X

Oct 1, 2019
Visit site
Where did you download the APK from? If you look at it in your file explorer, what is the extensionon it? It's possible it's not in the correct APK format and you can try to rename it to change the extension to ".apk".

They are all apks and I downloaded them from sources I've downloaded from before and didn't have any problems then

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Downloading apks for apps and games that are available in the Play Store always carries some risk. Since these games are often pirated (typically to get past some payment requirement), there's more chance of malware -- hopefully that's not the case for you.

If these are pirated games, we really can't continue discussing this.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd bet that the .apk file is corrupt, which is why it won't install (or even open), but you should be able to delete it in your file manager. (If not, you may have downloaded a virus and, bu trying to install the .apk, installed the virus, keeping you from accessing the file structure of the phone. The only fix to that is to reflash the ROM.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463