I've got an LG Phoenix 4 running Android 8.1 (AT&T prepaid, used as tablet only). The mic seems to cut off bass around 100 Hz and I can't find a way (in main Android settings) to allow its full range.

I've also tried various recording apps looking for a setting but so far no luck.

In my Nokia (Windows) phones there was an obvious setting to turn off the bass-cut feature.

Thanks for any tips if it's doable in Android.
    10-08-2019 01:08 AM
    Hi, welcome to Android Forums

I'd like to recommend creating a account so me or other members can assist you, as guest have limitations in replying here and if we need further Information to communicate with you.

I'll provide a link to register, please come back to your post so we can further assist you . Thank you

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=409154
    10-08-2019 09:46 AM
    There's no cut-off filter, the mic just has no great pickup at low frequencies. If you're recording music, think about using an external mic with good bass pickup.
    10-08-2019 02:09 PM
    Just did - had old account but couldn't log in before. Note typo in title - missing "I."
    10-08-2019 04:40 PM
    You're sure about that on this particular model? I hope the LG Phoenix 4 didn't cut corners on the mic, since it's quite decent otherwise.

Part of why I want to record bass is to document some neighbor problems, and it's just better to have a wide spectrum. The mics on my old Nokia Lumia phones could pick up lows at least down to 50 Hz after I turned off the bass filter. I was hoping some advanced "hack" could do that, unless you're saying that Android has no such filter anywhere.
    10-08-2019 04:45 PM
    You're sure about that on this particular model? I hope the LG Phoenix 4 didn't cut corners on the mic, since it's quite decent otherwise.
    I hate to say it, but this phone costs $70 or less, so I'm sure many corners were cut. I doubt there's anything you can do to increase the low frequency pickup with its mics. The flagship V-series phones do have those options, so it's not like LG doesn't know how to do it. They just aren't going to throw in many extra features in a third tier phone like this. It also may very well be a hardware limitation, using cheap mics in a cheap phone.
    10-08-2019 05:43 PM
    I hate to say it, but this phone costs $70 or less, so I'm sure many corners were cut. I doubt there's anything you can do to increase the low frequency pickup with its mics. The flagship V-series phones do have those options, so it's not like LG doesn't know how to do it. They just aren't going to throw in many extra features in a third tier phone like this. It also may very well be a hardware limitation, using cheap mics in a cheap phone.
    Well, I was going on the hope that my earlier budget phones by Nokia were indicative of mic quality in that range.

I'm generally curious as to why there's no highpass or lowpass setting in Android, unless said setting is only present with better mics on board. Does Android detect hardware and leave out menus correspondingly?
    10-08-2019 11:11 PM
    Well, I was going on the hope that my earlier budget phones by Nokia were indicative of mic quality in that range.

I'm generally curious as to why there's no highpass or lowpass setting in Android, unless said setting is only present with better mics on board. Does Android detect hardware and leave out menus correspondingly?
    When it comes to budget phones, you can't expect them to all have the same features. Even with flagship phones, there's still tradeoffs to be made between phones, just not as much.

As for mic settings, that's something 99% of the people won't care about. It wouldn't make sense to program that into the core system files like that. That's why the V-series phones have their mic settings built into the camera and audio recording apps and designed with that use in mind. The V-series was originally meant as a niche device aimed at content creators and audiophiles, so they had some of the best A/V tech around. Those are the types of people that would know about such features, much less how to use them. Your average Joe wouldn't even know what to do with those settings.

Because this seems to be a big issue for you, I'd suggest looking at getting the LG V20. It's what I'm currently on and I still consider it one of the best total packages around. It gives mic gain, high pass, limiter, and directional controls in both the camera and stand alone audio recorder. You can also record in hi-fi, and the mics are rated to something like 130dB. You can find them on the used market for about $50, so not a large investment for a really good phone even by today's standards. On the flip side, you may also just want to consider investing in a stand alone audio recorder, or external mic as already suggested earlier.
    10-09-2019 03:09 AM
    I'm not loyal to any given brand and would only buy new, but thanks for the concept. The notion of paying more than $50 for any phone doesn't appeal to me. Got lucky with those Nokia mics, I suppose, and there's still some life left in them.
    10-10-2019 04:09 PM
    Followup: I ran the "Spectroid" spectrum analyzer app and it shows a clear highpass effect right around 100Hz, which makes me suspect something's going on internally, so I'm still not sure this mic is purely mediocre. Could be a combination of factors.
    10-12-2019 07:25 PM
    It could be that the mic itself is hardware limited to protect weaker components. Even if it was a software issue, changing it would require rooting and digging deep into the system files. That's a skill beyond the capabilities of most users, would likely void your warranty, and it's unlikely you'll find anyone that has put in the effort to fix this from a third party source.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-12-2019 07:30 PM
    It could be that the mic itself is hardware limited to protect weaker components. Even if it was a software issue, changing it would require rooting and digging deep into the system files. That's a skill beyond the capabilities of most users, would likely void your warranty, and it's unlikely you'll find anyone that has put in the effort to fix this from a third party source.
    Update: I stumbled onto the fact that "Hi-Q MP3 Voice Recorder (Free)" has a RAW (unprocessed) recording setting, and gives proof of mic filtering. Much fuller sound in RAW mode! It compresses the audio to MP3, etc. so it's not like taking RAW digital photos.

Now, I have to figure out if this unburden sound can be applied globally to all apps.
    11-01-2019 03:35 AM