Ok, wife has a Samsung J3 after the latest update she is no longer able to download or send mms without turning on her data. Before the update she could. I still can Send and recieve mms with my data off on my S9. I can't figure out what settings were changed in the update. I've checked the APN but all is still correct there.... I'm lost.
    10-09-2019 10:10 AM
    Hi, welcome to Android Forums

I'd like to recommend creating a account so me or other members can assist you, as guest have limitations in replying here and if we need further Information to communicate with you.

I'll provide a link to register, please come back to your post so we can further assist you .https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=409154
    10-09-2019 10:18 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Do you mean she used to be able to get MMS messages while on wi-fi calling, with mobile data turned off?
    10-09-2019 11:07 AM
    Hey I posted this question, forgot I had an account on here.
    10-09-2019 11:33 AM
    Hey I posted this question, forgot I had an account on here.
    H,no problem.
    You need data for MMS messages
    10-09-2019 11:34 AM
    Yes prior to update she didn't need wifi or mobile data to be on. I still can send mms while at work with data off and not connected to wifi.
    10-09-2019 11:34 AM
    H,no problem.
    You need data for MMS messages
    I get that.
    But does it automatically connect temporarily then? Cause at work I send pics and never turn my data on, I leave it off unless I get on Facebook for a second and then turn it back off....
    10-09-2019 11:36 AM
    I get that.
    But does it automatically connect temporarily then? Cause at work I send pics and never turn my data on, I leave it off unless I get on Facebook for a second and then turn it back off....
    No i believe you have to resend again , shouldn't automatically.
    10-09-2019 11:38 AM
    No i believe you have to resend again , shouldn't automatically.
    Ok. Well apparently the update took away something that shouldn't have been working in the first place I guess.......I really hope I can avoid the update then. Cause I dont leave my data on so I can conserve it. Sending and receiving mms with mine off saves the data for now.
    Years ago, my vzw thunderbolt worked like mine now, sent mms with data off...
    10-09-2019 11:46 AM
    Ok. Well apparently the update took away something that shouldn't have been working in the first place I guess.......I really hope I can avoid the update then. Cause I dont leave my data on so I can conserve it. Sending and receiving mms with mine off saves the data for now.
    Years ago, my vzw thunderbolt worked like mine now, sent mms with data off...
    If you go I to settings, then connection should have a menu there to use data saver mode
    10-09-2019 11:49 AM
    What’s the point of having a smart phone if you don’t use it?
    Anyways the update must have “fixed” something. Maybe the data was not actually off but ‘paused’, which would be basically the same.
    10-09-2019 11:51 AM
    What’s the point of having a smart phone if you don’t use it?
    Anyways the update must have “fixed” something. Maybe the data was not actually off but ‘paused’, which would be basically the same.
    She was forced to upgrade to a smart phone cause our carrier was switching to volte otherwise she'd still have her antique flip phone...lol.
    Also prior to the update when data was off, it was just off. Now when it's off there an ❗ in the notifications bar.....
    10-09-2019 11:57 AM
    She was forced to upgrade to a smart phone cause our carrier was switching to volte otherwise she'd still have her antique flip phone...lol.
    Also prior to the update when data was off, it was just off. Now when it's off there an in the notifications bar.....
    Are you with Verizon?
    10-09-2019 11:59 AM
    Are you with Verizon?
    No, straight talk. But both her phone and mine were bought unlocked through Samsung and then put on straight talk service.
    Mine uses vzw towers and sim.
    Hers uses att.
    tekjunkie28 likes this.
    10-09-2019 12:02 PM
    If you go I to settings, then connection should have a menu there to use data saver mode
    Didn't do anything. Thanks though
    10-09-2019 01:21 PM
    Your welcome, don't know what else to suggest ..
    10-09-2019 02:09 PM
    Didn’t do anything? I think he was telling you that out can conserve data that way. I also think if you turn off sync and use a custom low power setting it will do the same and be easier for you. QoL right there. Play around and see what you like. Makes it easier
    mustang7757 likes this.
    10-09-2019 02:12 PM
    Mine uses vzw towers and sim.
    Then you're on Verizon. (Straight Talk is the people you pay - Verizon is your carrier.)

If your wife is on AT&T, she has a totally different setup than you have, even if both bills come from Straight Talk.
    10-09-2019 02:18 PM