Hi, I am using a Samsung Note 9 since 1.5 years. Have been using different Samsung phones for past 5 years and a same google account is linked to them. This afternoon all of a sudden my phone's 4 digit pin changed automatically. I haven't forgotten it for sure as I am using the same pin for last 3 phones and I am 100% sure about the pin. Luckily I had enabled the fingerprint so I can still log in to my phone. There was no OS update either during this time so I am really worried what could be the reason. For the time being I have changed my Hotmail and Gmail passwords and blocked my all online transactions. Now I am thinking if taking a back up and then to hard reset the phone but I am really interested to know what it could be. If it is a hacking attempt/malware then master reset will erase it or not?
    10-09-2019 10:41 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! It's more likely to be a phone glitch, not a hack. Can you use Find My Mobile to remotely change your PIN? https://findmymobile.samsung.com/. Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/as...community.html
    AK_08 likes this.
    10-09-2019 10:56 AM
    Hi, thanks for your reply. first of all sorry its Note 8 not Note 9. No I cant remotely change the pin as when I try to unlock the phone using https://findmymobile.samsung.com/ it tries to reach out the phone but unable to unlock stating "something went wrong". the phone location is showing correctly though
    10-09-2019 11:31 AM
    You may want to back up all of your important data while you can, then do a factory reset and set the phone back up again.
    AK_08 likes this.
    10-09-2019 12:24 PM
    Thanks Diddy, I will do that now. Just wondering if there is any way to find out if there was a malware or system glitch. And just in case if it was a malware, will I be removed by a factory reset? or shall I take any additional step before installing back all the apps etc.
    10-09-2019 12:29 PM
    I doubt it's malware, but if it were, the ability to get rid of it with a factory reset may depend on if it were installed to the system root or not. If it was, then a factory reset probably wouldn't help -- you'd have to reinstall the firmware.
    10-09-2019 01:56 PM
    Thanks a lot for your kind help. So before factory reset I simply restarted the phone and bingo, the same pin worked. I am a bit extra cautious so still I am doing the hard reset. One more thing I have noticed from last few months is that whenever I restart my phone it takes too much time, then it hangs in the middle and then restart again. I hope it has nothing to do with it.
    10-09-2019 02:44 PM