Why does my Samsung S7 not update Android automatically?

Derek_0110

Oct 15, 2019
Visit site
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and I have a question regarding automatic android updates on my device.

In the system settings automatic updates for Android are enabled when a w-lan connection is available, which is most often the case for me.

5 days ago (9th October) I checked manually for an update because I had just read news about an important security issue affecting my device. At this point in time no update was available.

Today I did a reboot because of an empty battery and being somewhat suspicious I again checked manually for a system update. And this time there was an update available which then was installed right away.

This is all fine but I am bothered by the information that the current update is a security patch from the 1st of September.

Right now I am questioning if the automatic update does actually work or if, maybe, this is just a coincidence.

Maybe some more experienced users are willing to share some insights. I'd be glad to receive some feedback.

Thanks and cheers!
VB

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If your phone is not a Pixel, then the most current system update's security patch may not correlate with the current month.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Your post does not suggest that the auto-updates are not happening.

When an update becomes available, from your carrier if in the USA, the carrier will slowly send out notifications to its customers, in a staggered update scenario.

In your case, you did a manual check for an update, which got you the update after the carrier released it and before your phone was sent the message.

Keep in mind that no carrier is updating any phone monthly. The best you can hope for is quarterly. I think the Google Pixels are the only phones getting any update remotely close to monthly.

Derek_0110

Oct 15, 2019
Visit site
Op here. Thanks for the replies and the good information.
I guess the most simple explanation is a coincidence then and there is nothing to worry about besides the time it takes until updates are delivered to the end-customer.

I will keep checking this issue since I don't like coincidences when it comes to security updates.

Thanks again and cheers.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20