Dialer shows wrong contact names with extensions

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi all,

I'm having a problem in where my outgoing calls show wrong contact names.

I've created multiple entries in my phone contacts all containing an pause with extension.
So as an example, I've created 20 different contacts with the following numbers:
+31123456789,201 - ContactName A
+31123456789,202 - ContactName B
+31123456789,203 - ContactName C
+31123456789,219 - ContactName S
+31123456789,220 - ContactName T

the first part is our company Dial-in number, after the pause, the internal number is entered.

When I dial one of these numbers, the ContactName is only shown briefly, then it transforms to the first created contact name wich has +31123456789 in his number.

So for example:
if I call person 'ContactName B', within a second the name transforms to ContactName A (assumed this contact was the first one created).
Calling Contactname C, D etc. have the same habit.

How can I fix this, so the name I'm dialing stays in my screen instead of going to the first contact added with this type of number (it is NOT showing the first alphabetic contact, it shows the first added contact).

The dialer shows the correct name only for a split second, so it is capable of showing the correct number.

Phone used: different mobiles (moto One Vision, Moto G7+, Samsung S8, RugGear RG650 etc).
Most of them running android 9, some an older version.

I've also installed the app Prefix GR, where I added the company prefix, so that I'm able to just dial 220 en that app adds the prefix. But this one also shows the correct name for just a split second. (perhaps there's some other app that is capable of doing this?)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I don't have a definitive solution for you, but I think the main problem is that the actual phone number for each contact is essentially the same -- the extension isn't being recognized as a part of the actual phone number. So that's why it's defaulting to Contact Name A.

As an experiment, see what happens if you add other phone numbers to at least some of those accounts (home numbers if available -- or maybe just make them up), just so there's something else to distinguish the contacts from each other. Maybe that will trigger the phone to distinguish one contact from another when making a call.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree with B. Diddy that having essentially the same number for each of these contacts is the leading cause. I don't believe that adding additional phone numbers to them will help anything however simply for the fact that the call isn't to one of these other numbers.

I have two things for you. First check your "linked" contacts list. I'm really surprised that your contacts app hasn't tried to link all of these contacts as they would seem to share a phone number, but maybe the extension is enough to prevent that??? Anyway my second thought for you is create a contact for work, that is just the number. It doesn't really solve your problem but perhaps when you call Peggy in accounting it will say WORK instead of Anna in sales. At least that might be a little more settling than always appearing to be calling Anna.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood