Hello there,

I have android 5.0.2 with internal storage 11 GB on /storage/emulated/0. Then I have an SD card 16Gb on /storage/sdcard1. SD card has 14 GB free and internal storage has 2GB free.

I downloaded a 6 GB ISO file and it was in the download folder in internal storage. Then I tried to copy the file into the SD card's download folder. But during copy it said it has no free space and aborted. I tried copy same into a different folder in the SD card but same issue. Then I tried to delete the SD card contents using FX. During deletion, the ISO file was disappeared. Format only removed the Download folder in both internal and SD card and could not proceed due to restrictions. After that internal storage space freed upto 8 GB. (6+2)

1. Is download folder a same folder for both internal and SD card ? If it is, how ? SD card has similar folders as in internal storage.

2. How to format SD card within android 5.0.2 as built in utility and EX has no such option ? And how should I treat SD card independent of internal storage merely to move or copy files from internal storage to it only ?

3. In the above file paths, these two locations seem to be independent. Am I correct? Then what went wrong ? I can still copy smaller files into the SD card. When I tried to download a smaller file, the download folder got auto created. I was wondering the 6GB file was trying to copy within the same folder or what ? So confused.

Thank you in advance.
    CA
    10-18-2019 08:40 AM
    Hi, welcome to Android Forums

I'd like to recommend creating a account so me or other members can assist you, as guest have limitations in replying here and if we need further Information to communicate with you.

I'll provide a link to register, please come back to your post so we can further assist
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=409154
    10-18-2019 08:58 AM
    What device? Please upload a screenshot of storage info from your phone. /storage/sdcard1 is generally INTERNAL storage so a screenshot would help
    10-18-2019 08:58 AM
    /storage/emulated/0 is internal storage, /storage/emulated/1 is the external (SD) card. If you're trying to move a file from /storage/emulated/0/Downloads to sdcard/Downloads, you're moving it to itself. sdcard is internal storage, /storage/emulated/0. The card is extSdCard.

So, depending on the file manager, and the way you get to the card (you can get to it from /sdcard, /storage/emulated/0, /mnt/sdcard) it can be called different things, but those are all the internal storage (and the same folder).

Try copying from /storage/emulated/0 to extSdCard or to /storage/emulated/1. (And copy, don't move. Some file managers, when moving, read the entire file into RAM, delete it, then write it to the destination. If something goes wrong before the write is completed, you've lost the file. [It's the wrong way of doing it - it should be read it into RAM, write it to the destination then, if there's no error, delete the original, if there's an error, delete the copy. But some "developers" aren't developers.])
    10-18-2019 02:37 PM