I have a text that says "your verification code is" blah blah blah... but doesn't say who its from... my boyfriend is known to be shady in the past and I just want to know what app or website sent to
    10-19-2019 07:43 PM
    Hi, welcome to Android Forums

I'd like to recommend creating a account so me or other members can assist you, as guest have limitations in replying here and if we need further Information to communicate with you.

I'll provide a link to register, please come back to your post so we can further assist
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=409154
    10-19-2019 07:47 PM
    It should automatically open whatapp once you get the text
    10-19-2019 07:47 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! If there's no other information in the message, then I don't think there's any way to identify where these 2-factor authentication verification codes are from.

Maybe it's time for a new bf? Unless you're into shady ...
    10-19-2019 07:51 PM
    Maybe it's time for a new bf? Unless you're into shady ...
    These days it seems a lot of ladies are...

On a rules note however, should we even be entertaining this question as it is an attempt to invade someone's privacy?

I was really looking for the, Try talking to him and asking, response in all of this.
    B. Diddy and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-19-2019 08:45 PM
    It seems really odd that the message did not mention the app/site it is from.

If the message is being sent to your phone, make some mental notes and ignore it.

If the message was sent to his phone, where you are looking, the best you can hope for is to ask him about it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-19-2019 09:13 PM
    On a rules note however, should we even be entertaining this question as it is an attempt to invade someone's privacy?
    I don't think this would fall under a privacy invasion. If there's no indication where the text originated from, then no privacy has been violated. Because they often come via short code numbers, and those numbers are not unique to a single entity (they are shared), it's unlikely a reverse lookup would be feasible.

To the OP, you could ask your boyfriend, but that's about the best you could hope for. For all we know, someone could've just entered their phone number wrong and are now wondering why they didn't get their 2FA text yet.
    10-19-2019 09:55 PM

I was really looking for the, Try talking to him and asking, response in all of this.
    That's because the post didn't mention anything about wanting to spy on other people. It sounded more like the OP was wondering if the bf was trying to log into one of her accounts (rather than her trying to log into one of his). But thanks for remaining vigilant!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-19-2019 11:49 PM
    It seems really odd that the message did not mention the app/site it is from.
    I get 2-factor authentication codes for one of my clinic's remote access site with the message "Use this code for Microsoft verification." It does mention Microsoft, but doesn't say what the site is.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-20-2019 12:02 AM
    Right, but "Microsoft" should be enough info for you to know which site or app the text came from.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-20-2019 12:06 AM
    It'd be interesting to see if the OP looks more closely at the message -- maybe she didn't catch the Microsoft part!
    10-20-2019 12:18 AM
    Well if we're going to talk about this...

I thought I had gotten a few 2-factor codes for a couple of different apps/sites/what-have-you sent from the same number but as I went back and checked, didn't want to put out false info, I couldn't find an instance of this happening. Must have been my mind playing tricks on me. However the one thing I did find was that they all gave an indication of where they were from. There wasn't a single one that I opened that didn't have something identifiable, and I went way back checking every varication code I've received since July of 18. Not sure how it could be a phishing scam, unless there was a link in the message, but for it to not include something identifiable strikes me as odd. Of course if you had requested a code you would presumably know for what, so there's that too.

Anyway, there's still a feeling of untrust here... Untrust? No. Anti-trust? No. Untrustworthiness? Well only the last one didn't highlight as misspelled... I think everyone gets it anyway. So there's "that" feeling which isn't good and if you feel that way, back to my original statement, you should probably just ask, "Hey did you request a verification code for something?" If you can't do that, there's more wrong with this than a little mistrust. Communication. Another thing to consider is if someone, I won't say your BF because innocent until... we all know the rest, were trying to access one of your accounts and hit the send code button that would be really stupid. It would be funny if they hit the did not receive code button and you got two. Actually I can't get that thought out of my head now, they just keep hitting the did not receive button, over and over and... Sorry back on topic. Anyway not having anything identifiable just strikes me as something bogus. Even my apps that intercept the code when it comes in, where I don't have to do anything but receive the code, still say who they are from. I think you're right to be suspicious, suspicious of the message. IMHO
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-20-2019 04:31 AM
    Try Short Code Lookup | U.S. Short Code Directory - the advanced search at the top of the left column. Put in the shortcode (the sender's "number" and hit Enter. They don't have them all yet, but they have a lot.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-20-2019 02:10 PM
    Hey, that's handy! Good to know.
    10-20-2019 05:33 PM