Why does my Android tablet get texts from my Phone?

TechnicalSkittle

Nov 1, 2019
Visit site
So they aren't actually my devices, they're my mothers. Shes not very tech savvy so she asked for my help. She has an Iphone 5 and a Samsung galaxy tablet (I think its the tab 3, she thinks its one of the notes) and she called me in shortly after I texted her to show that her tablet was receiving the texts that were being sent to her Iphone as they are received by the phone. The tablet has no SIM card inserted into it at all, but it can send and receive messages through the messaging app as if it were her phone and I receive them on my phone as if they had come from her phone. The two devices arent connected by Bluetooth but they are connected to the same WiFi network. I wouldn't be so confused if they were both apple devices or both android, but being an apple phone and an android tablet I have no idea how this happened or whats going on.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So they aren't actually my devices, they're my mothers. Shes not very tech savvy so she asked for my help. She has an Iphone 5 and a Samsung galaxy tablet (I think its the tab 3, she thinks its one of the notes) and she called me in shortly after I texted her to show that her tablet was receiving the texts that were being sent to her Iphone as they are received by the phone. The tablet has no SIM card inserted into it at all, but it can send and receive messages through the messaging app as if it were her phone and I receive them on my phone as if they had come from her phone. The two devices arent connected by Bluetooth but they are connected to the same WiFi network. I wouldn't be so confused if they were both apple devices or both android, but being an apple phone and an android tablet I have no idea how this happened or whats going on.
Hi, welcome to Android Forums

I'd like to recommend creating a account so me or other members can assist you, as guest have limitations in replying here and if we need further Information to communicate with you.

I'll provide a link to register, please come back to your post so we can further assist you . Thank you
https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=409154

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What carrier does she have? Some carriers have an app that can connect the tablet to the messaging system (like T-Mobile's Digits, or Verizon's Messages+).

TechnicalSkittle

Nov 1, 2019
Visit site
Hey, OP here. Thought I created an account but I guess not.

She has Verizon. As far as messaging goes, she uses the default app on the Iphone and they get recieved by the basic messaging app on the tablet as well

TechnicalSkittle

Nov 1, 2019
Visit site
I got the tablet and looked into it. It does have messages+ on it so i suppose that mostly answers the question. I still don't understand how they synced up though. She doesn't have the tablet linked to her Verizon account, it doesn't have a SIM card in it either. Would it have done all this through her google account?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I got the tablet and looked into it. It does have messages+ on it so i suppose that mostly answers the question. I still don't understand how they synced up though. She doesn't have the tablet linked to her Verizon account, it doesn't have a SIM card in it either. Would it have done all this through her google account?
Possible something got connected between the devices on Verizon or google side , strange lol .
B.diddy is correct now I'm thinking tmobile has something like digits it's called but would have to set it up .

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
this is not something that starts automatically. if had to be setup by someone. is the phone number from a carrier? does she use google voice, skype or other similar services? what app on the tablet is being used for the messages. you should be able to go into it and disable it or possibly uninstall the app to stop it.