What are the implications of no security updates for the Original Pixel

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I am trying to find information regarding whether or not I should upgrade my phone now? I have a perfectly good Pixel that I still use and hate to think that I am forced to buy a new phone because there are no longer security updates.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Google have basically stopped them after 3 years. Depends on how concerned you are about security. I use a Pixel to ensure I get timely updates. But many people use budget phones for years and never receive a single update or upgrade.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But many people use budget phones for years and never receive a single update or upgrade.

Heck, even people with flagships from some manufacturers hardly get any significant updates!:p

In general, I'd say you're fine for another year or so. Just keep an eye out for legitimate security concerns in the news. And I don't mean the FUD that antivirus companies do press releases on, like that recent story about the Xhelper malware that keeps coming back despite hard resets (and oh by the way, you can only get it if you go to a shady website to sideload a shady app for shady reasons, but that part of the story isn't emphasized). I mean security concerns that Google actually acknowledges and specifically addresses in a security update.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
And, with a Pixel (or Goggle) of any age, you can flash the last factory ROM (from Google | Factory Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices (full instructions at the site - it's just going to look weird for a day or two, until they find out what's causing the display problems on the page since they added the November update - at least in Firefox, I haven't look with any other browsers [but both the factory image and the update image are good links and good SHA256].)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech