As I said,replaced battery and it went up to 68%.phone still wouldn't start.plugged it back in and it read 2%.battery is new and while it's charging the phone gets really hot up at the top where the sim and memory cards go.
    11-10-2019 11:54 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Where did you say this before? Are you referring to another thread?

Where did you get the battery from? Keep in mind that even though the battery is new to you, it's probably been sitting somewhere on a shelf for years (considering that the phone it was designed for is more than 6 years old), so it may have already degraded significantly.
    11-10-2019 12:06 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Where did you say this before? Are you referring to another thread?

Where did you get the battery from? Keep in mind that even though the battery is new to you, it's probably been sitting somewhere on a shelf for years (considering that the phone it was designed for is more than 6 years old), so it may have already degraded significantly.
    I got 2 new batteries...one on amazon and one on ebay...both were supposedly brand new...

It used to be my personal phone..I gave it to my 8 year old son he uses it on wi fi and plays games and takes photos
    11-10-2019 12:29 PM
    I got 2 new batteries...one on amazon and one on ebay...both were supposedly brand new...
    Oh, they probably are. Never used. (Never charged in 6 years either.)

But the "getting hot at the top" bothers me. It's saying "there's a short up near the top of the motherboard" - probably an old (it is 6 years old) capacitor shorted, and it's right across the battery, keeping the battery from holding a charge or the phone from starting. And having the motherboard replaced will cost more than the phone is worth. (Even a good used motherboard will cost about what the phone is worth.)

Your best bet is to find a repair shop that holds onto good, working, trade-ins and buy something in the $50-$100 range, with some amount of warranty.
    Galactic Zoo likes this.
    11-10-2019 03:15 PM
    Oh, they probably are. Never used. (Never charged in 6 years either.)

But the "getting hot at the top" bothers me. It's saying "there's a short up near the top of the motherboard" - probably an old (it is 6 years old) capacitor shorted, and it's right across the battery, keeping the battery from holding a charge or the phone from starting. And having the motherboard replaced will cost more than the phone is worth. (Even a good used motherboard will cost about what the phone is worth.)

Your best bet is to find a repair shop that holds onto good, working, trade-ins and buy something in the $50-$100 range, with some amount of warranty.
    Ok...thanks for the help
    11-11-2019 01:15 PM