Email addresses not showing in contacts

Greggtr

Nov 11, 2019
Visit site
When I address an email autofill shows some possibilities some of which are no longer valid. I see no email addresses when I open contacts in the app. I have been to google contacts which shows only 3. And I don't appear to be able to modify these. Where are the autofill addresses stored and how do I modify these?
Thanks
Greg

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
Sorry fella, I did. The second sentence of your post was "I see no email addresses when I open contacts in the app. I have been to google contacts" so I answered that part of your question. Also, look at the title of your post. As for where the dead email addresses are stored I have no idea.

Last edited:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
They are not part of your contacts and to be honest I'm not entirely sure where they're stored other than to say in your ISP. I have emails stored for people I emailed 20 years ago, before contact list and all that, so I've never had an actual, the way we think of them today, contact for that person. My best advice would be to Google your question and insert your email provider. i.e. where does Gmail store my past email contacts, or, how do I edit my Gmail auto fill addresses. Usually step by step directions will popup.

Greggtr

Nov 11, 2019
Visit site
Thanks. Tried that. Bigger puzzle is it has suggestions for addresses that aren't even in my contacts. For example if i type in "ha" for my son i get a great list of addresses which contain those two letters....none of which are contacts but obviously past correspondants.... but cant find any file which contains them. Looks like they are stored in the cloudxat google and probably not accessible by mere mortals.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
OK, help us help you then. You've replied to some of the things mentioned or suggested but have not answered any of the questions posed.

What phone do you have?

What service are you using for email?

What app are you using?

As I mentioned before, you should pose the question to Google and insert what email service provider you are using. Also as I mentioned I have an AOL account where I can put in partial names and get suggestions for people I haven't emailed in 20 years or more, so obviously they wouldn't have anything to do with my device because I was using a PC then. You need to, if not Google the question, search the FAQ page for your email service provider.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The autofill might also be remembering past addresses you've typed (or mistyped), but aren't necessarily saved in your Contacts. That might be in the Email app's cache/data, or the keyboard app's cache/data. Try clearing your email app's cache first, then your keyboard app's cache, and see if either of those steps help. If they don't, then try clearing the email app's data -- this will likely require you to add your email accounts back to the email app again, but assuming you're using IMAP servers, you won't have lost any email data, since it'll just resync. If that still doesn't work, then clear the keyboard app's data (which might clear out any saved personal dictionary items, so use caution if you have a ton of those that don't sync anywhere, like your Google account).