Battery Problem After Replacement

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi.
I'm not sure if this problem is related to this forum but I'll appreciate your help.

I've had a Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 for 2 yeard and recently I replaced the battery because it was old and I could feel it's not as good as before. But I have some problems with new one.

Battery Problems:

After I plug out the phone, it stays on that percent for a long time ( for example it stays 100 percents for 3 hours. Even with use). Then it drains faster and faster. After it comes down to 56-55 percent, it can come to 20 in 3 hours with NO USE AT ALL. It's best performance is on 80s.
Funny thing is, under 50 percent it holds better when you use it. I mean without use it drops 1 percent every 5 minutes, with use it's 1 percent in 10 minutes.

What I did:
The man who replaced the battery said my phone needs flashing. So I did that (Went from Android 7 to 8). I wiped cache, I did a reset factory twice, I updated all apps, everything is turned off. Bluetooth, data, location, sync and I only use wifi. I'm not a heavy user and I mostly use wifi, chrome, samsung music player. No instagram or facebook.
I did every battery saving thing I could. Including low screen light.

Right now, last night my phone was pluged out on 69 percent. It stayed that way for 15 HOURS, and when it got to 68, it droped to 67 after 10 minutes with no use. The repair guy said battery is fine because it can hold for 24 hours and the percentage it shows doesn't matter but my previous battery, in his old and bad days, could hold 24 hours with HEAVY use while this one barely gets there with LIGHT use.

Bottom line is, my new battery is working worse than my old battery and I tried everything.

So I don't know if anyone can help me but I'm really desperate now. Thanks in advance.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like you have a battery that doesn't have matched cells. You could also have one that has a bad cell. This is typical behavior for batteries that are about to die, the only thing missing is unexpected bottoming out and your device turning off at 20 or 30%. If the place is reputable they should exchange the battery for one that works as expected. Even though most of the problem seems to be percentage display based, having a battery you can't predict the life of could leave you high and dry when you need it.

If you would like to reply to this thread please register an account. This link will help you do that... https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community-new-post.html

MahiMM

Nov 16, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for your answer

Can you explain what you mean by matched cells and bad cell? I'm totally clueless on batteries.

So can this happen to a new battery? Right now I'm worried that maybe they gave me a second hand one. It lasts from 100% to 20% for almost 20 hours with light use and I think it's a terrible number but the guy said if It can last for half a day then the battery is fine and it's not their problem.