Is there an app or widget that will allow volume (audio level) adjustment....

hitsware

Nov 16, 2019
Visit site
....while sound is playing ? I.E. adjust level of music while playing mp3 or
radio stream ....
Or a media player with built in volume control ?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately you have provided very little information about your issue.

On most devices, when audio is playing the volume for that audio can be adjusted. I believe with the introduction of Pie, Google changed the way audio is controlled. Prior to this when you pressed the vol buttons and the slider displayed there was an expand button that would show you all of your audio volume options. Since then you can only control volume for what is playing, i.e. On a call=ear piece, music or video=media, alarm sounding=alarm, so on and so on. By default just pressing the vol buttons with nothing playing adjusts media volume and other volume controls are only accessible though the settings menu. This is why I'm confused about your question because you appear to be asking for something that you should already have, even in older versions of Android, so you must be leaving something out???

What device do you have?

What version of Android are you using?

What app or apps are you using that do not allow you to change the volume while audio is playing?

Have you checked your audio settings to see if there is a setting or default that you can set to give you the control you are looking for?

To reply to this thread you will need to register an account. This link will help you do this... https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community-new-post.html

Sam Adcock

Dec 10, 2019
Visit site
I think Google has lost its focus with the current volume control in Pie, it's not logical, one thing that drives me crazy is you have no individual control on notifications, you have to turn ring volume down to turn notifications volume down, I like to hear my phone ring but not so interested in notifications from drivel from Snapchat and Facebook etc.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I agree that it's a nuisance to have Ringtone and Notification volumes tied together, but this has actually been the case for "vanilla" Android for a while (i.e., that's how it's been on Pixel and Nexus phones for as long as I can remember). Other manufacturers may tweak the system settings so that you do have separate control, but that's up to the manufacturer. If your phone doesn't have this option, then you'd have to look into a 3rd party app -- however, the main one I found on the web (Volume Butler) isn't available through the Play Store, so there is a bit of risk if you install the apk.

The workaround for me is to change the notification tone to something quiet and/or brief. If none of the preinstalled tones fit that criteria, then you can always download one from the web, copy it to the /Notifications directory, and use that.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
On most devices, when audio is playing the volume for that audio can be adjusted. I believe with the introduction of Pie, Google changed the way audio is controlled.
But the volume buttons still control the current audio - even out to Android 10. (I just checked with an MP3.)