What kind of a lock is on phone that wasnt scanned from store

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a moto G6 play that I bought from somebody but when I try to activate it they said that it hadn't been scan from a store what is that that lock called that is on my phone

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what the lock would be called and given that this sounds like a stolen device we're talking about, I think the Forum would frown on offering you any real help.

However I will say that when the device is scanned at the retailer the ESN is activated. Without this activation the device cannot activated. Additionally if the device is stolen any repair shop, carrier or activation center that scans the ESN will likely alert someone.

Hopefully you didn't pay too much because chances are you won't see your money back.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This sounds like one of those "fell off the back of the truck" sales. If this phone was stolen, careful how you proceed. It's unlikely you'll get your money back. If you purchased through a website, report it to them that you were sold a stolen phone. If you bought it direct from an individual, I would go to the police and turn it in. If you are caught with it, you could be charged with possession of stolen goods (at least in the U.S.). So your best course of action is to be proactive and turn it in. If not to the police, then to the carrier if you can figure that out, or to the manufacturer.