With the launch of Disney Plus, and streaming in general fast becoming the preferred way to watch entertainment and other content, I wanted to ask a general question.

Is the Chromecast (specifically it's current incarnation, the 3rd generation) still worth buying?

I already have my Android smartphone and I have a tablet as well. In light of that, is Google Chromecast something useful? I mean I'd prefer to have the option to watch"The Mandalorian" on my TV than only the phone and tablet.

Is there a fourth generation of the Chromecast on the horizon?
    11-22-2019 09:42 AM
    Chromecast is still a very good buy...unless you're really into remotes for TV. And you have to make sure that the sources you want to watch ARE available for Chromecast (for instance, Apple TV+ isn't, as are a constantly-shrinking-yet-still-a-thing number of On-Demand channel sources).
    11-22-2019 02:20 PM
    Moved to Ask a Question. (And please don't make multiple duplicate posts.)
    11-22-2019 04:11 PM
    On most Android devices, you can set the device to send content to a Chromecast, so anything you can watch on the device, you can watch on the TV. Is it still worth it? If you're in the US, I'd see what the Black Friday specials are, and get it the cheapest (plus sipping if it's being shipped) that I could. (It seems to be $35 at the moment, no matter where you get it.)

Is there going to be a 4th edition? Only the Google gods know that. (I'm still using my 1st edition and the 3rd edition doesn't really offer much [except 5GHz WiFi, but the Chromecast is about 3 feet from the router, so it doesn't matter to me].)
    Laura Knotek and adonesc76 like this.
    11-22-2019 04:22 PM
    On most Android devices, you can set the device to send content to a Chromecast, so anything you can watch on the device, you can watch on the TV. Is it still worth it? If you're in the US, I'd see what the Black Friday specials are, and get it the cheapest (plus sipping if it's being shipped) that I could. (It seems to be $35 at the moment, no matter where you get it.)

Is there going to be a 4th edition? Only the Google gods know that. (I'm still using my 1st edition and the 3rd edition doesn't really offer much [except 5GHz WiFi, but the Chromecast is about 3 feet from the router, so it doesn't matter to me].)
    Thank you for your reply
    11-23-2019 05:37 AM
    Chromecast is still a very good buy...unless you're really into remotes for TV. And you have to make sure that the sources you want to watch ARE available for Chromecast (for instance, Apple TV+ isn't, as are a constantly-shrinking-yet-still-a-thing number of On-Demand channel sources).
    Thank you for answering.
    11-23-2019 05:38 AM
    BTW, technically the Stadia Edition Chromecast is the '4th Gen'
    11-23-2019 09:40 AM