It used to be that when I "backed out" of an app that I'm using, I'd be taken to the main menu & the app would be shut down. Now, I still go home, but the app is still open, according to the list when I hit the lower left button. I was thinking a Setting got changed but I cannot find one to change back. How can I get this changed?
    11-25-2019 08:07 AM
    Hi, welcome to Android Forums

I'd like to recommend creating a account so me or other members can assist you, as guest have limitations in replying here and if we need further Information to communicate with you.

I'll provide a link to register, please come back to your post so we can further assist

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=409154
    11-25-2019 08:23 AM
    Which phone ?
    It should close it out once you hit the back button and out of it , what you see in the other is your recent apps
    11-25-2019 08:25 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! If the app is still in the Overview, it doesn't mean it's actively running and using CPU cycles -- most of the time, it's paused in the background, which means it's cached in RAM but not using any power (unless the app is designed to be actively doing something in the background, like a music app, or unless the app is poorly coded). This is how Android is supposed to work, allowing the user to switch apps quickly and efficiently. If you kill the app from RAM and then open it again, it takes more energy to load the app back into RAM. Some phone manufacturers (especially Chinese ones like Huawei) are fanatical about killing apps from RAM in order to "save battery," but this can impact overall performance. My advice would be to leave it alone, and let the system handle RAM.
    11-25-2019 01:46 PM
    "In RAM" and "running" aren't the same thing. Something has to be in RAM - in every single byte of it. Whether it's the code of an app you closed, or the the data an app was using (that's no longer assigned to an app) or just junk, it can't be "nothing". Each bit is 1 or 0. Adding the 8 bits in a byte will give you some value between 0 and 255. But no "value" uses any power, it's just "there".

The apps you see are the ones you used last. (It's handy if you want to get back to an app quickly. But if you used the back button to close it, it will start from the beginning. If you used the home button when you were finished using the app, it will start where it was when you hit the home button. Whether it was using any power of not when you weren't using it, in that case, depends on whether it was still in RAM, or that RAM was in use by another app. [Android apps must always store their current state, because Android can just kill an app that's in the background if it needs the RAM, then call that app back when you bring it to the foreground, running at the place it was when Android killed it. To you it looks as if the app has been running all along - it may not have been. Even a timer that's supposed to be keeping watch on the clock to add up the time, or alarm you when it gets to the right time - it uses cron, the cronometric daemon that's part of the kernel Android runs on - so if it's killed, when it's brought back it can see when it was run, or when it was set to alarm, and show the correct elapsed time.)

tl;dr - don't worry about it - it's working the way it's supposed to be.
    11-25-2019 03:04 PM