Cant hear other person during phone call when theres background noise, only with headphones

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello

My issue is that during phone calls I cannot hear the other person if there's any background noise on my end (for example if im on the street with traffic noise). They'll be talking to me and a car drives past and thier voice just cuts out until the backgroudn noise goes away. They can still hear me fine when it happens. This issue is only present with headphones, I can make the call on speaker or with the phone held up to my face and there's no problem.

The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S8 using the stock phone app. This has been the case with numerous different headphone sets, both Samsung and 3rd party. I suspect the problem is something to do with echo/noise cancelling that the phone is doing but I cant find anything in settings?

Thank you

user125333534

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
Ive had the issue since the phone as new out of the box, im suspecting its software related since the issue has beeen present for the whole time ive owned the phone and across a number of different headphone sets

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ive had the issue since the phone as new out of the box, im suspecting its software related since the issue has beeen present for the whole time ive owned the phone and across a number of different headphone sets
You can try in safe mode see how it works , it would turn off all 3rd party apps to see if they are causing issue

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Make sure the secondary mic opening at the top of the phone (which is used for noise cancellation) isn't blocked, either by a case or clogged by lint.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not the phone, it's the headphones. I'm guessing that they're noise-canceling headphones. And the noise-canceling isn't working as expected. Try a cheap $10 "cellphone earphone", and it will probably work.

user125333534

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
Theyve all been the cheap 10$ type, nothing fancy. The mic port on the top of the phone is clear but when the phone is in my pocket it might be de-facto covered, i'll try some tests tonight with the top mic port open to the environment as well as in safe mode and report back if any of those solutions worked.