Hi all

When I connect my P20 Pro to the pc I get this "use USB to.". message with 3 options.

How do I select To File Transfer automatically and if it is set to that will it still charge via USB?

I have USB debugging on.

Thanks Li
    11-25-2019 10:33 PM
    Hi, welcome to Android Forums

I'd like to recommend creating a account so me or other members can assist you, as guest have limitations in replying here and if we need further Information to communicate with you.

I'll provide a link to register, please come back to your post so we can further assist

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=409154
    11-25-2019 10:55 PM
    What's the 3 options it gives ?
    11-25-2019 10:55 PM
    I don't believe Android allows you to default to file transfer any longer. The last time I remember seeing that option may have been Froyo, or maybe Gingerbread... Anyway, if you were able to default to that option the device would only have to be plugged in to a PC or laptop for all of your devices data to be accessible by anyone.

I looked through Smart Lock but there doesn't seem to be an option for things that are plugged into the device to unlock it. Options for USB were to share your internet but, for me at least, the phone has to be plugged in before that option is available. I don't know much about Huawei but perhaps their desktop tool can perform as authentication and unlock the device when it is connected to your laptop or PC. You'd have to look around in the tool's settings to see if there was a way to log-in. Even that seems a bit insecure but it's as close to anything you're asking for as I can think might be possible. Again I don't know much about Huawei but for my Samsung and my HTC simply unlocking it while plugged in to a laptop or PC allows for files to be accessed without granting special permission. Have you ever tried using your PC's file manager while ignoring the pop-up? I know you say you are being presented with options so this may not hold true for you.

As for charging while sharing data, yes it will still charge if the device it is plugged into is capable of charging another device. It may charge slower while in data sharing mode but if there is power it will still receive some charge. In general laptops and PC charge slower than charging bricks in outlets. They usually just don't push the wattage.

If you have comments or more questions please use mustang7757's link and register so that you may reply here.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    11-26-2019 12:41 AM
    I don't believe Android allows you to default to file transfer any longer. The last time I remember seeing that option may have been Froyo, or maybe Gingerbread... Anyway, if you were able to default to that option the device would only have to be plugged in to a PC or laptop for all of your devices data to be accessible by anyone.

I looked through Smart Lock but there doesn't seem to be an option for things that are plugged into the device to unlock it. Options for USB were to share your internet but, for me at least, the phone has to be plugged in before that option is available. I don't know much about Huawei but perhaps their desktop tool can perform as authentication and unlock the device when it is connected to your laptop or PC. You'd have to look around in the tool's settings to see if there was a way to log-in. Even that seems a bit insecure but it's as close to anything you're asking for as I can think might be possible. Again I don't know much about Huawei but for my Samsung and my HTC simply unlocking it while plugged in to a laptop or PC allows for files to be accessed without granting special permission. Have you ever tried using your PC's file manager while ignoring the pop-up? I know you say you are being presented with options so this may not hold true for you.

As for charging while sharing data, yes it will still charge if the device it is plugged into is capable of charging another device. It may charge slower while in data sharing mode but if there is power it will still receive some charge. In general laptops and PC charge slower than charging bricks in outlets. They usually just don't push the wattage.

If you have comments or more questions please use mustang7757's link and register so that you may reply here.
    Especially automatically
    VidJunky likes this.
    11-26-2019 12:50 AM
    In Android 8 on my LG phone, there was an option in the Developer menu to set the default USB connection type. This seems to be gone in Android 9. In its place on my LG phone, the USB dropdown from the notification bar has a list of options with a once/always option.
    11-27-2019 09:10 PM
    In Android 8 on my LG phone, there was an option in the Developer menu to set the default USB connection type. This seems to be gone in Android 9. In its place on my LG phone, the USB dropdown from the notification bar has a list of options with a once/always option.
    I have this option, Galaxy S10 Android 10 Beta v5
    11-28-2019 07:30 AM
    It's there in 10 - but no matter how many times I set it to MTP, it eventually defaults back to charging. (The old method, back around Gingerbread, always stayed where you put it last. I think it still did in 5.0.1 [I'm too lazy to check]. But no more, not since 8, at least. [I skipped 6, and 7.])
    11-28-2019 02:09 PM