How can I change light brightness only for turned on lights?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi, I have four lights in my flat each in different room. I am trying to change light brightness to every light that is turned on. But every time I create some custom command it works wrong. I tried "change brightness of all lights to one" but this command also turned on lights which was turned off before. When I try to specify lights which are turned on, Google home ignore this specification and again turn on turned off light or it is soo confused that it changes light brightness only in room where I am. Its annoying, I want buy more lights controlled by voice and be able to set them to low brightness when my daughter (1 year old) goes to sleep. But also don't want turn on all lights in whole flat with this command. Can you please help?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You could try creating a new 'room' if the lights you want are always the same. You can also try with custom commands involving IFTTT and automation apps like Tasker (not much knowledge here on how to use those, though, sorry... but plenty of resources on the web or maybe someone else can chime in). I also find that annoying (wanting only the lights I have on to be set to a brightness as a group, not turning on the rest of the lights as well).

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Except that requires you to go through each and every one of the lights, which defeats the purpose of a pretty sensible 'just do this for everything that's on right now and let me go on with my day' feature.

not if you setup a routine. you can have different routines for different combination of lights. but I am assuming you can change brightness in a routine.

just to add, you can give room commands that will only affect lights that are turned on, even if the light that is off is part of the command. the light that is off will not be affected.

Last edited:

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, routines would work...but only if you know exactly which lamps you want to change. If you randomly change which ones you have on, this won't 'work'.

you can have more than one routine in the same room with each routine dimming a different combination of lights.

on a side note, it would have been nice if you would have quoted my post so I could have received notification. I would have replied sooner.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If the on/off state can be "gotten from the bulb", Tasker can go through each bulb in turn and, if it's turned on, set the brightness to the level you want. If the state can't be gotten from the bulb, you'd have to keep a list of all bulbs and whether you're turned them on or off, then only control them with the app (Tasker can do that too - I haven't used ITTT, but it may also be able to).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze