I downloaded the Zedge ringtone app and it's asking permission to write system settings, is it safe to do it or is something dodgy going on?
    11-29-2019 08:00 AM
    You can change that permission anytime you want if you don't feel comfortable. If you have further questions can register here as a guest can't communicate.https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=409154
    11-29-2019 08:05 AM
    Hey, just registered, cheers for the quick reply. What would an app use that permission for exactly? Is it so it can change my ringtone to the one I download or would it be something more complicated?
    11-29-2019 08:24 AM
    Hey, just registered, cheers for the quick reply. What would an app use that permission for exactly? Is it so it can change my ringtone to the one I download or would it be something more complicated?
    Hi , welcome!
    If you long press Zedge then tap info and scroll to permission it only ask for location, storage, contact , on mine I only grant storage so it can't download wallpaper or ringtones.
    11-29-2019 08:28 AM
    Welcome to the forums. I think that permission is needed it to change the ringtone from Zedge. I guess you can deny that permission, download the ringtone, move it to the right folder and then pick it from the general settings or from a different app.
    Rukbat likes this.
    11-29-2019 08:28 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! If it makes you uncomfortable, you can always just download the ringtone directly from the zedge.net website on your browser, and then use a file manager app to move that ringtone file to the /Ringtones, /Notifications, or /Alarms directory.
    Rukbat likes this.
    11-29-2019 12:09 PM
    /Ringtones, /Notifications, or /Alarms directory.
    Or "folder" as everyone calls it these days. B. Diddy and I come from the days when people spoke proper Computerese.
    B. Diddy and ManiacJoe like this.
    11-29-2019 04:32 PM
    LOL, the reason I distinguish "folder" from "directory" is that there can be folder icons on the homescreen or in a gallery app that doesn't correspond to an actual directory pathname on Internal Storage or the SD card.
    11-29-2019 04:36 PM