How should I properly transfer a microSD card from an S4 to an S7?

SirMoeHimself

Aug 12, 2019
Visit site
Let me first state that I know how to physically remove the card from the S4 and where to put it in the S7. And also all of my content on the card is backed up on my PC. So would it be safe to just transfer the card as is? Or should I format the card first? And if so should I format the card on the S4 before I remove it or transfer it to the S7 and format it on the S7? Or does that matter? Thanks.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've always just transferred without reformatting, and currently on my third or fourth phone with the same card with no reformatting. If you were to do that, I would reformat it in the new phone just make sure it's formatted optimally for it, then re-download all your backed up data to it.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I have had some luck with just transferring the SD from one device to the next but I found that this caused a few issues. I would some times end up with duplicate files or folders as the new device created its own copy of whatever. Granted this was on older phones and with HTC devices so Samsung may do it better. I stopped this practice when I started encrypting my device and SD cards. Once encrypted obviously it cannot be transferred one for one because the new device won't be able to read the SD.

Personally I like the backup to PC and format in the new device solution for two reasons. First it allows the card to be formatted to and by the new device, hopefully eliminating possible conflicts and ensuring that the card is setup for the new device. Now again Samsung may do a better job of this so it may just be a peace of mind thing. Second adding the files back allows you to go through folders and files and really decide if something is worth keeping. It's like spring cleaning for your device.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Second adding the files back allows you to go through folders and files and really decide if something is worth keeping. It's like spring cleaning for your device.

Unless you're like me and create a single "dump" folder on the PC that you simply drag and drop the entire contents (including folder tree structure) of the SD card to it, then reverse the process after formatting. Lol

SirMoeHimself

Aug 12, 2019
Visit site
I have had some luck with just transferring the SD from one device to the next but I found that this caused a few issues. I would some times end up with duplicate files or folders as the new device created its own copy of whatever. Granted this was on older phones and with HTC devices so Samsung may do it better. I stopped this practice when I started encrypting my device and SD cards. Once encrypted obviously it cannot be transferred one for one because the new device won't be able to read the SD.

Personally I like the backup to PC and format in the new device solution for two reasons. First it allows the card to be formatted to and by the new device, hopefully eliminating possible conflicts and ensuring that the card is setup for the new device. Now again Samsung may do a better job of this so it may just be a peace of mind thing. Second adding the files back allows you to go through folders and files and really decide if something is worth keeping. It's like spring cleaning for your device.

That's solution is what I feel like doing, especially for the peace of mind. I've reformatted the card numerous times but upon removing to put my stuff back on I can tell new files and folders are already created on the card. That's what made me think and definitely made me come here to ask. So yeah I think I'll do it this way. Thanks for the response you guys! Pancakes for everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835