Can't get keypad to appear for voicemail on Nexus 6

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a Nexus 6 phone. Using Sprint. This problem just started yesterday. I go to voicemail. It prompts me for my passcode. I touch the icon for the keypad, but the keypad does not appear. I've tried rebooting, no change. The keypad works fine for all other operations, including making calls.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Does anything happen at all when you tap the keypad button? If you make calls to other numbers, are you able to bring up the keypad in the middle of call then?

neillrd

Dec 5, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for the help. It is my wife's phone, so I have to tread carefully. I went to the phone app settings and did a Clear Cache. I also did a Force Stop. Rebooted the entire phone. No change. I'm a little hesitant to do a "Clear Data". Not sure what that will delete--contact list? From what I've read, it appears that the contact list will NOT be deleted, although, just to be sure, I've done a backup of the contacts.vcf file to a Google drive (couldn't figure out how to back it up to the PC, even though I have the phone connected via USB to the PC). Decided to be brave and did the "Delete Data', Delete Cache and force stop. then rebooted the phone. Problem is still there. It just says "Please enter your passcode", I touch the icon for the keypad, it does go fro dark to white, but no keypad comes up. The keypad does work on all other applications (as far as I know) including using the phone to make a call.
Robert

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the help. It is my wife's phone, so I have to tread carefully. I went to the phone app settings and did a Clear Cache. I also did a Force Stop. Rebooted the entire phone. No change. I'm a little hesitant to do a "Clear Data". Not sure what that will delete--contact list? From what I've read, it appears that the contact list will NOT be deleted, although, just to be sure, I've done a backup of the contacts.vcf file to a Google drive (couldn't figure out how to back it up to the PC, even though I have the phone connected via USB to the PC). Decided to be brave and did the "Delete Data', Delete Cache and force stop. then rebooted the phone. Problem is still there. It just says "Please enter your passcode", I touch the icon for the keypad, it does go fro dark to white, but no keypad comes up. The keypad does work on all other applications (as far as I know) including using the phone to make a call.
Robert
Hi, welcome!
If everything sync to your Google account it will repopulate, I would do in that order to see if it will work .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you using a voicemail app that is prompting you to enter a passcode, or are you calling the carrier's voicemail inbox and being told by the automated system to enter a passcode?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know, there's no discrete voicemail app that comes with "stock" Android. Voicemail is typically something you call a number for, and is dependent on the carrier. Some phones that are sold directly from a carrier might have a specific carrier voicemail app preinstalled, though. Are you talking about one of these, or maybe a visual voicemail app?

Can you show us a screenshot of the voicemail app's icon? http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

neillrd

Dec 5, 2019
Visit site
Thank you again for all your help. I just spent an hour trying to get a screen capture on the Nexus 6--mainly by trying to hold down the power button and the volume down button simultaneously. Did not seem to work (although I did manage to reboot the phone about 5 times:). So, being a long time (40 years) mainframe programmer, I went old tech. Got my phone out and took a picture of my wife's phone. A couple of things that might help. We are using Sprint. When she goes to voicemail it is dialing into what I believe is the Sprint service. It asks 4 times for the pin, then quits. Tapping, holding, etc the keypad button does not bring up the keypad. The keypad does come up when using the phone to dial.

I just noticed that there is another post on this forum that another person is having the problem--and there was a Google update. I'm thinking they messed something up. 20191206_100648[1].jpg
Robert

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you again for all your help. I just spent an hour trying to get a screen capture on the Nexus 6--mainly by trying to hold down the power button and the volume down button simultaneously. Did not seem to work (although I did manage to reboot the phone about 5 times:). So, being a long time (40 years) mainframe programmer, I went old tech. Got my phone out and took a picture of my wife's phone. A couple of things that might help. We are using Sprint. When she goes to voicemail it is dialing into what I believe is the Sprint service. It asks 4 times for the pin, then quits. Tapping, holding, etc the keypad button does not bring up the keypad. The keypad does come up when using the phone to dial.

I just noticed that there is another post on this forum that another person is having the problem--and there was a Google update. I'm thinking they messed something up. View attachment 313897
Robert
Did you ever try what i suggest? It resets the phone app .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try this as a workaround. Open the Phone app, tap Menu>Settings>Voicemail>Advanced Settings>Setup>Voicemail Number. If it's Sprint, it should just be your wife's number. Tap to edit it, and at the end of the number, add a comma (for a pause) and then an asterisk, then the PIN. See if that automatically enters the PIN whenever she goes to her voicemail.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If it's Sprint, it should just be your wife's number.
Or not - I seem to recall a different number (in a neighboring area code, yet) back when I was on Sprint.

In any event, long-pressing 1 when ready to make a call should get you into voicemail without having to put in a PIN (unless you opt, in the menu, to require a PIN even when calling from the cellphone).

Jay B4

Dec 6, 2019
Visit site
Guys I found a workaround!!! I had the exact same issue on my Nexus 6 earlier today. I tried a bunch of things & finally found a solution. Go to Settings>Apps>Phone>Disable. It will switch that App back to the factory version. But DO NOT go to Play Store and update. It will have the same problem. Instead, just go into your Apps, put the shortcut on ur home screen. open the phone app and leave it as factory. It will work just fine. Leave it that way until Google fixes the problem.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
So, as it says on the 4th one up from the bottom, you can disable the PIN for the phone itself, but still require it if someone calls you. (That can't be done if you call your own number for voicemail - it has to be a "back door" number.)

neillrd

Dec 5, 2019
Visit site
Sorry, I did try clearing everything and resetting. Nothing worked. I'm guessing that it is the Android bug, and hopefully it will get fixed soon. Also tried the , and password--Sprint voicemail didn't like it. Tried calling Sprint to just take off the password--they told me I could only remove the voicemail password by dialing into voicemail! Big help. If it isn't fixed in a day or too I will try the workaround suggested above to go back to an older version. Thank you for all your help. Fortunately, voicemail is not a big deal for my wife, so it is not a "must fix immediately" situation.
Robert

flipperflorida

Dec 11, 2019
Visit site
Hi! Nexus 6 owner here, having the same EXACT issue! As nellrd mentioned, my voicemail access is not super important. However, when I am trying to make a call that requires a prompt ("press 1 for assistance, 2 for a return" and etc.), I can't even do that because of this keypad issue.
If anyone finds a solution, I would be super grateful.

I have attached a conversation of users that seem to be experiencing the same issue. "Some" of the members also have a Nexus6.
https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/22259872?hl=en#

I forgot to add that my carrier is MetroPCS, which I doubt is the keyboard issue.

Last edited by a moderator: