Android 9 - November 1 Update - Has it Disabled ALL Offline Speech Recognition?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Has anyone else experienced the fact you can no longer use offline speech recognition on their phone?

Originally, some google assistant commands worked offline. Then, none worked - but voice typing into an App such as Messaging - would work OK. Now, I can't use any voice typing when offline. I tried this on 2 different phones (both Android 9).

Does anyone know any more about this? What is the point of having offline language download packs when they can no longer be used? How can the "Saving audio to..." be disabled to restore offline speech recognition?

Dec 8, 2019
Visit site
Thanks - Motorola G7 Plus and Xiaomi Mi A1 - you can try what I said on any android 9 phone and my guess is that offline speech recognition won't work. I suspect it's one of the updates from the last 6-9 months that has "killed" it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks - Motorola G7 Plus and Xiaomi Mi A1 - you can try what I said on any android 9 phone and my guess is that offline speech recognition won't work. I suspect it's one of the updates from the last 6-9 months that has "killed" it.
Hi, welcome Andrew to AC forums!
Most of my phones are on Android 10. Let me see if @Javier P still can check on his Moto.

Dec 8, 2019
Visit site
Oh yeah - checked all that. I uninstalled and re-downloaded. I have US and UK english installed (and I think "generic" as well) then went offline. Same problem. I mainly use the voice typing to send text messages when I am driving - I don't have a mobile data plan as I don't need one...

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Oh yeah - checked all that. I uninstalled and re-downloaded. I have US and UK english installed (and I think "generic" as well) then went offline. Same problem. I mainly use the voice typing to send text messages when I am driving - I don't have a mobile data plan as I don't need one...
Mmmm, and what about the assist app? Go to settings - apps & notifications - default apps - assist and voice input - assist app and make sure that Google is selected and all the options ok when you tap the cog icon.

Dec 8, 2019
Visit site
I experimented with those settings too - but changing them has no effect. I restarted the phone as well. It seems pretty clear that the feature has been disabled - either accidentally or deliberately. It stopped working without me changing anything. The fact that neither my phone nor the Motorola phone works strongly suggests its an Android 9 update issue. The chances of 2 different phones failing in the same way is pretty slim if it's not an update-related issue.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I experimented with those settings too - but changing them has no effect. I restarted the phone as well. It seems pretty clear that the feature has been disabled - either accidentally or deliberately. It stopped working without me changing anything. The fact that neither my phone nor the Motorola phone works strongly suggests its an Android 9 update issue. The chances of 2 different phones failing in the same way is pretty slim if it's not an update-related issue.
It could be or maybe a bug in the Google app, Gboard or Play Services. The latest Google app update mentions the offline speech in the log, there's a chance the cause is there.

Dec 8, 2019
Visit site
Thanks - I uninstalled updates for those 3 apps. The voice typing still did not work. However, I ran the google app itself manually (rather than by saying "OK google") and then the Voice Assistant *did* work offline. At the moment, the assistant seems to work offline, but from the keyboard's "microphone" button, I can't use voice type - it immediately brings up a "not connected" message and all I can do is exit the voice type.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks - I uninstalled updates for those 3 apps. The voice typing still did not work. However, I ran the google app itself manually (rather than by saying "OK google") and then the Voice Assistant *did* work offline. At the moment, the assistant seems to work offline, but from the keyboard's "microphone" button, I can't use voice type - it immediately brings up a "not connected" message and all I can do is exit the voice type.
Hmmmm. Tried offline speech for the first time and it didn't work. Android 10.
Screenshot_20191208-145921.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Go through list of apps in settings then apps and uninstall updates anything with Google there see if it helps . I'll be back online later check in but good sign with Google assistant

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I tried with the Moto G7+ running Pie and it's working. After I ran the test went to the Play Store and there was an update for the Google app, updated it and it's still working. The only difference I can find in the settings is that in the G7+ i have English (US) as system language and UK in the OnePlus 7. Which system language do you have?
Screenshot_20191208-153057.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463