5G plan, worth it?

Zakjoe1234

Dec 11, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I'm an S9+ user, and my Sim Only contract has been available to upgrade since February this year, which I had totally forgotten about.

I'm currently using Vodafone Red 25gb, which is unlimited calls and texts. 25gb data and 100 minutes to EU free. 12 months of an entertain subscription (e.g. Spotify or Now TV).

Does it worth using a 5g data plan for future when I get a new phone, or is my current one enough?

I was also thinking of using an unlimited data plan, which is unlimited data and fast downloads speeds for giving up an entertain package.

Thanks

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Bump.

Anyone got any suggestions from the list?

They never actually state what's "the fastest" speed.

The forum broke your link so it doesn't work. Can you try again, but this time remove the "https://" as that is the workaround when this happens.

As for your original question, 5G is so sparse right now that I wouldn't bother. It also seems next year's flagship phones will suffer when it comes to battery life because the Snapdragon 865 won't have an integrated modem. The 765 will, which will be on mid level phones. I'm not saying which way to go or if you should wait until they do re-integrate the modem on a flagship processor. It's just something to be aware of to make your own informed decisions.

www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/201...lagship-5g-announcement-765-modem-tech-summit

Zakjoe1234

Dec 11, 2019
Visit site
The forum broke your link so it doesn't work. Can you try again, but this time remove the "https://" as that is the workaround when this happens.

As for your original question, 5G is so sparse right now that I wouldn't bother. It also seems next year's flagship phones will suffer when it comes to battery life because the Snapdragon 865 won't have an integrated modem. The 765 will, which will be on mid level phones. I'm not saying which way to go or if you should wait until they do re-integrate the modem on a flagship processor. It's just something to be aware of to make your own informed decisions.

www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/201...lagship-5g-announcement-765-modem-tech-summit

Oh thanks!

Ah, so it's not worth bothering with at the moment. I was actually going to upgrade my S9+ since I was having a few issues with it (phone call sound very low, and charging wire kinda loose), but I guess if I can hang on and sort those issues, then it's probably best to keep it?

As for the link: www.vodafone.co.uk/mobile/best-sim-only-deals

Cheers!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Bump.

Anyone got any suggestions from the list?

They never actually state what's "the fastest" speed.
And that's the problem - all the plans seem to be the same speed.

You have to find out exactly what the maximum speed is (they can't control the speed from the server to them, only from them to you, and your streaming/download speed is going to be that of the slowest part of the path - that's just how the internet works, and every download or stream is going to be different), and any limits they place on that "unlimited" (in the US, you get full speed for about 50GB, then you get throttled to 3G speeds - or you get full speed until there's "network congestion", then you get throttled - which means they can keep you on 3G speed all month).

As for 5G, do you really need the download speed (between 100 & 400 mbps - and lowband [600-850MHz] will run 25-100mbps)? (3G is fast enough for streaming). And how much of your day is spent near WiFi? If you have WiFi, you don't need mobile data at all.

Zakjoe1234

Dec 11, 2019
Visit site
Fair points made tbh.

I've only ever gone over 25gb data once, I tend to use the data more when I'm traveling, but then there's my phone battery.

Perhaps I'm better off sticking with what I've got. Or maybe stick to "unlimited", on the same price plan, just so when I'm traveling, I don't need to pay for extra data if I do go over. Spotify etc are inexpensive anyway.

Zakjoe1234

Dec 11, 2019
Visit site
Unless I'm wrong, just speaking to them.

My current one is the same speed as the £30 Ultra Fast deal. I would get more free roaming countries, but I'm not traveling at the moment.

I would be sacrificing a subscription service like Spotify, for unlimited data. I was told I use 15gb average a month and I have a 25gb deal currently which is no longer being offered, I purposely don't overuse so avoid going over my limit.

Would you suggest just sticking with what I have? If I do, I will ask them about a subscription, because I've been entitled to 2 as I've had it for 2 years now and used neither. However, as one was Pre renewal, I can accept them saying only 1 subscription, not 2.

Thanks.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I would stick with whatever suits you better. I don't use Spotify, so I'd prefer the unlimited. If Spotify is important to you and you've had no data cap issues, then sticking with the current plan may be your best bet. Kinda hard for us to make a value judgement when priorities are different for everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo