Nokia 6.1
    Android 9 Pie
    Music (mp3 format) stored on 32Gb SD card - approximately 5Gb of music - 100% of music files are seen in Android File Viewer - 90% of music is seen by Google Play Music (GPM) - music files not seen in GPM will play in Android File Viewer

Attempted fixes
    Renamed one of the specific folders not found in GPM - example: "...But Seriously" folder in "Phil Collins" folder renamed to remove "..." - Cleared cache and refreshed GPM library. No change.
    Added new folder (called "Nokia") to the root of the SD card and moved the "Music" folder into it. Cleared cache and refreshed GPM library. No change.
    Unistalled and reinstalled GPM. Refreshed GPM library. No change.

Any suggestions? I've been searching off and on for a couple of weeks. I would have preferred to find the answer myself, rather than bother someone else, but it's kind of hard to get a specific answer to a problem with search terms like "Google Play Music", "Android", "music files", etc...

Thank you,
    Ryan
    12-11-2019 10:34 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Are all of the music files on the SD card in the same Music directory, or do you have separate directories for each album? Are the missing music files all from the same album, or is it random? If they seem to be from a common directory, is there a file called ".nomedia" also present there?

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/as...community.html
    12-11-2019 10:48 PM
    Are all of the music files on the SD card in the same Music directory, or do you have separate directories for each album?
    Inside the Music directory is a folder for each artist. Inside each artist folder is a folder for each album.

Are the missing music files all from the same album, or is it random?
    Multiple albums, in their entirety, are missing.

If they seem to be from a common directory, is there a file called ".nomedia" also present there?
    There are no ".nomedia" files.

Thanks.
    12-12-2019 08:07 PM
    What if you turn on the Downloaded Only toggle in the GPM app's menu?
    12-12-2019 09:40 PM
    Attempted fixes
    Renamed one of the specific folders not found in GPM - example: "...But Seriously" folder in "Phil Collins" folder renamed to remove "..." - Cleared cache and refreshed GPM library. No change.
    Whether or not it fixes the problem you are trying to solve right now, you will probably want to make sure that none of the names of the files nor folders start with a period as this indicates that the file/folder is a "hidden" object.
    B. Diddy and Laura Knotek like this.
    12-12-2019 09:42 PM
    What if you turn on the Downloaded Only toggle in the GPM app's menu?
    This setting is checked. It doesn't make a difference either way.

Thanks.
    12-13-2019 08:24 AM
    Whether or not it fixes the problem you are trying to solve right now, you will probably want to make sure that none of the names of the files nor folders start with a period as this indicates that the file/folder is a "hidden" object.
    I'll double-check this.

Thanks.
    12-13-2019 08:25 AM
    I thought that was already tried for the "... But Seriously" album and it didn't help.
    12-13-2019 10:10 AM
    I thought that was already tried for the "... But Seriously" album and it didn't help.
    I meant that I would check other folders for leading periods. I'll also check file names for offending characters, too.

Thanks.
    12-13-2019 10:52 AM