Best android smart tv

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My husband want to give me a gift on this Christmas but he asked me what do I want? I am confuse what I really need because recently I bought a new smartphone. But we need a new smart tv for home. As you know there are numerous brands in the market so please suggest me best.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
make sure the manufacturing date and the model number of the tv is this year but not older than 2018. the problem with smart tvs is they go out of date after a few years and a lot of apps with no longer work. If you do an online search you will find a lot of models that dropped netflix, prime and some of the other major streaming services the last few months. Personally I would get a tv, forget about the smart part and get a streaming box (or stick).

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
just do an online search using FBI smart tvs as key words and you will get overloaded with links. this was a recent press release.
I know in the past, you could turn those functions off to eliminate the risks. You just need to read the manual to know what's what. They aren't going to name the feature something obvious like "totally spying with the mic on/off." It'll be something like "Totally awesome user experience improvement." Those names being totally made up, of course.

Also: Totally.

VMdoug

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I have 2 of the Sony Android TV smart TVs that I purchased for a vacation home. When I purchased them I was thinking Android TV was the way to go. Since then, I've bought 2 Roku devices for older TV's at home and I have to say that I much prefer Roku now. I'm not a big fan of "Smart TVs", like others have said, they get old and not always updated. Using Roku allows me to still use the TVs and Roku has the broadest support of streaming services out there (AFAIK).

sdpluth

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
make sure the manufacturing date and the model number of the tv is this year but not older than 2018. the problem with smart tvs is they go out of date after a few years and a lot of apps with no longer work. If you do an online search you will find a lot of models that dropped netflix, prime and some of the other major streaming services the last few months. Personally I would get a tv, forget about the smart part and get a streaming box (or stick).

Is it possible to buy a state of the art TV today that doesn't have smart features or who's smart features can be completely turned off?

I am interested in the new Nvidia shield but probably need to update my 10 year old, low res, dumb TV.

Is it possible to get a TV these days that won't collect and share your information?

Last edited by a moderator:

bovcrx

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
My husband want to give me a gift on this Christmas but he asked me what do I want? I am confuse what I really need because recently I bought a new smartphone. But we need a new smart tv for home. As you know there are numerous brands in the market so please suggest me best.
I went with a Sony 65" X950G. Got it for 700 at Best Buy outlet. Look for one near you. I've always wanted a Sony Bravia so that's the route I went. Any other way I would have got the shield tv and a TCL 4k tv to keep cost low.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Is it possible to buy a state of the art TV today that doesn't have smart features or who's smart features can be completely turned off?

I am interested in the new Nvidia shield but probably need to update my 10 year old, low res, dumb TV.

Is it possible to get a TV these days that won't collect and share your information?

as long as you do not setup internet access they cannot collect.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
For any question like this, "best" is largely a subjective adjective, because what's best depends on the consumer's preference. Rather than listen to a first-time poster's definitive recommendation for a specific model without any supporting information, I would recommend doing some research on legitimate respected sites like Consumer Reports to learn about features, quality, price, and reliability.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That's really a lot of FUDD. "The FBI" release was from the OPI (in other words, a press release written by press release writers, not FBI technical people). The TV is behind a router, so it can't be connected to from outside your network. (If you see someone parked outside your house, fiddling with some equipment for more than a minute or two, call the police.)

(I've only been in this business for 46 years, and I wouldn't waste my time trying to get into someone's TV when - if I could get into their network, I'd get into their PC or laptop and steal their login to their bank account. Your TV is less accessible than your baby monitor [any police scanner can listen to your baby monitor].)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678