My husband want to give me a gift on this Christmas but he asked me what do I want? I am confuse what I really need because recently I bought a new smartphone. But we need a new smart tv for home. As you know there are numerous brands in the market so please suggest me best.
    12-12-2019 12:59 AM
    The Best Smart TV is Samsung 75" Class RU7100 Smart 4K UHD TV.
    Buy it and you wont regret.
    12-12-2019 01:04 AM
    I read an article that Smart TVs are privacy risks - some have microphones, and cameras that can be hacked into.
    12-12-2019 01:15 AM
    Your husband shouldn't have asked you for the gift and buy a gift of his own choice for you
    12-12-2019 01:35 AM
    That's a joke seriously you need to go for Sony A1E Series OLED TVs.
    12-12-2019 01:37 AM
    Btw Samsung is good in using VPN which will help you access Netflix of other regions aswell as Disney+
    12-12-2019 02:26 AM
    make sure the manufacturing date and the model number of the tv is this year but not older than 2018. the problem with smart tvs is they go out of date after a few years and a lot of apps with no longer work. If you do an online search you will find a lot of models that dropped netflix, prime and some of the other major streaming services the last few months. Personally I would get a tv, forget about the smart part and get a streaming box (or stick).
    12-12-2019 03:19 AM
    I would recommend you to gift LG Smart Tv Model: 65LB7200.
    high definition screen quality and clear sound
    12-12-2019 03:50 AM
    Can you send me the link where did you read?
    just do an online search using FBI smart tvs as key words and you will get overloaded with links. this was a recent press release.
    12-12-2019 04:03 AM
    just do an online search using FBI smart tvs as key words and you will get overloaded with links. this was a recent press release.
    I know in the past, you could turn those functions off to eliminate the risks. You just need to read the manual to know what's what. They aren't going to name the feature something obvious like "totally spying with the mic on/off." It'll be something like "Totally awesome user experience improvement." Those names being totally made up, of course.

Also: Totally.
    12-12-2019 07:17 AM
    get a Android TV box... then u do not have to change the TV after a few years. Mi box s or Navidia Shield ... changing my box every 3-4 years and keep the Display / TV.
    stevenjb2020 likes this.
    12-12-2019 07:56 AM
    get a Android TV box... then u do not have to change the TV after a few years. Mi box s or Navidia Shield ... changing my box every 3-4 years and keep the Display / TV.
    Good point. A basic flat screen TV, and add on a streaming box of your choice (Fire TV, hint hint).
    12-12-2019 08:08 AM
    I have 2 of the Sony Android TV smart TVs that I purchased for a vacation home. When I purchased them I was thinking Android TV was the way to go. Since then, I've bought 2 Roku devices for older TV's at home and I have to say that I much prefer Roku now. I'm not a big fan of "Smart TVs", like others have said, they get old and not always updated. Using Roku allows me to still use the TVs and Roku has the broadest support of streaming services out there (AFAIK).
    12-12-2019 08:38 AM
    make sure the manufacturing date and the model number of the tv is this year but not older than 2018. the problem with smart tvs is they go out of date after a few years and a lot of apps with no longer work. If you do an online search you will find a lot of models that dropped netflix, prime and some of the other major streaming services the last few months. Personally I would get a tv, forget about the smart part and get a streaming box (or stick).
    Is it possible to buy a state of the art TV today that doesn't have smart features or who's smart features can be completely turned off?

I am interested in the new Nvidia shield but probably need to update my 10 year old, low res, dumb TV.

Is it possible to get a TV these days that won't collect and share your information?
    12-12-2019 10:44 AM
    My husband want to give me a gift on this Christmas but he asked me what do I want? I am confuse what I really need because recently I bought a new smartphone. But we need a new smart tv for home. As you know there are numerous brands in the market so please suggest me best.
    I went with a Sony 65" X950G. Got it for 700 at Best Buy outlet. Look for one near you. I've always wanted a Sony Bravia so that's the route I went. Any other way I would have got the shield tv and a TCL 4k tv to keep cost low.
    12-12-2019 11:18 AM
    Is it possible to buy a state of the art TV today that doesn't have smart features or who's smart features can be completely turned off?

I am interested in the new Nvidia shield but probably need to update my 10 year old, low res, dumb TV.

Is it possible to get a TV these days that won't collect and share your information?
    as long as you do not setup internet access they cannot collect.
    12-12-2019 11:27 AM
    Get the best dumbest TV and hook up an Nvidia Shield to it.
    12-12-2019 11:35 AM
    For any question like this, "best" is largely a subjective adjective, because what's best depends on the consumer's preference. Rather than listen to a first-time poster's definitive recommendation for a specific model without any supporting information, I would recommend doing some research on legitimate respected sites like Consumer Reports to learn about features, quality, price, and reliability.
    12-12-2019 12:39 PM
    The Best Smart TV is Samsung 75" Class RU7100 Smart 4K UHD TV.
    Buy it and you wont regret.
    I would recommend you to gift LG Smart Tv Model: 65LB7200.
    high definition screen quality and clear sound
    That's a joke seriously you need to go for Sony A1E Series OLED TVs.
    Can you tell us more about your experience with these models?
    12-12-2019 12:40 PM
    That's really a lot of FUDD. "The FBI" release was from the OPI (in other words, a press release written by press release writers, not FBI technical people). The TV is behind a router, so it can't be connected to from outside your network. (If you see someone parked outside your house, fiddling with some equipment for more than a minute or two, call the police.)

(I've only been in this business for 46 years, and I wouldn't waste my time trying to get into someone's TV when - if I could get into their network, I'd get into their PC or laptop and steal their login to their bank account. Your TV is less accessible than your baby monitor [any police scanner can listen to your baby monitor].)
    12-12-2019 02:46 PM
    That's really a lot of FUDD. "The FBI" release was from the OPI (in other words, a press release written by press release writers, not FBI technical people). The TV is behind a router, so it can't be connected to from outside your network. (If you see someone parked outside your house, fiddling with some equipment for more than a minute or two, call the police.)

(I've only been in this business for 46 years, and I wouldn't waste my time trying to get into someone's TV when - if I could get into their network, I'd get into their PC or laptop and steal their logi///n to their bank account. Your TV is less accessible than your baby monitor [any police scanner can listen to your baby monitor].)
    wow I did not know smart tvs and networks been around for 46 years!!!!! what does that have to do with smarttvs? you are focus on one part of the press release, lets not forget the manufacturer, the apps developers and more have access to your viewing information and can listen if the microphone is turned on. as far as who wrote the press release, maybe their press spokesperson wrote it but it is a valid warning.

guess what, being connected behind a router does not mean a thing, the ring, which there have been many articles recently, is also connected behind a router. so are baby monitors and other devices that has been hacked recently.
    12-12-2019 03:50 PM
    Love my Sony A1E, mostly due to picture quality, but Android TV was a requirement when shopping! Love it.
    12-12-2019 05:58 PM
    I have Samsung SmartTV and MiBox 3 Android TV Box. Here are straightforward comparison for Samsung Tizen based TV vs MiBox powered by Android TV according to my experience:

Samsung SmartTV

Pros:
    1- Apps are very lightweight comparing Android TV apps, the proprietary Tizen makes it faster to load apps on TV
    2- No need for extra device to run, all in one
    3- Built-in receiver for cable TV makes it easy to watch cable without extra box
    4- Supports Apple AirPlay but lacks Google Cast feature
    5- Supports mirroring over network
    6- Some models include Bixby voice assistant (my model lacks it)

Cons:
    1- Apps are region based, some applications are restricted for certain regions, you can never side-load or even using VPN to change region to change store location, only needs certain code to change region/country but you will only find apps of country you changed losing any specific apps in your region.
    2- Very limited memory capabilities in such you cannot install as many apps
    3- Updates and development of Tizen apps are pretty slower than Android TV apps
    4- Interoperability between apps in Tizen and smartphone (iPhone or Android) is not perfect (I have an app like NetFlix where I stream from TV app and I would like to continue watch from phone, phone app does not correctly sync what I just played on TV despite the opposite TV app continues what I just watched)
    5- Sorting channels and adding them in favorites is like hell, very cheap cable/satellite DVB receivers have better ways to sort import and export lists
    6- No option to backup import or export TV channels from 2017 models and above
    7- There is no option for multitasking in such you cannot switch between apps or between apps/TV or other sources, you will need to start app again
    8- SmartThings app where you can control TV from phone is very poor

MiBox 3 Android TV

Pros:
    1- Almost all apps on Android smartphone Play Store can be found in Android TV store
    2- Sideloading or getting region based apps is easy by using alternative Play store apps or simply obtaining apk source and use USB stick to copy it
    3- Includes Chromecast which is the most powerful option especially for sites with no apps on Android TV and supports Cast, this is great if you need to watch desired video content on TV while using smartphone independently
    4- Supports 4K and HDR10
    5- Can install several browsers
    6- App updates are quicker than Tizen apps in addition to full interoperability with phone apps
    7- No need to enter credentials for newly installed apps thanks to Google smart login (in case same Google account used)
    8- Supports Google Assistant and voice commands
    9- Multitasking apps

Cons:
    1- Android TV in my opinion is still not mature enough to describe it β€œsmart”
    2- Updating OS takes longer times as per manufacturer, lack of Project Treble for non Android 10 models makes it hard to get updates
    3- No theming or changing UI colors/patterns
    4- Poor sorting of apps and control over UI like in Android mobile
    5- Google assistant needs much of work to give TV more smart look
    12-14-2019 09:22 AM
    Can you send me the link where did you read?
    Was it sent to you in a Private Message? Members may PM other members.
    01-03-2020 02:44 AM