Music genre handling for imported files not working correctly

michaelveloz

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I've imported all my Music from my PC (via cable) to Pixel XL4 running Android 10 and it created about 35 different genres with titles such as "10", "28", "50", and so on.

When I look at the media tags of some of the songs that are in these weird genre, their genre looks good (looks like "Pop" or "Rock", etc).

Also, if I import these same songs to an older pixel not running Android 10, this does not happen. Also, Windows Media finds the genres correctly.

What could be going on, and how can I fix this? It's basically ruining my ability to use my music library.

I have tried running automatic-tag fixers on the music and re-importing, but nothing seems to help. Have also cleared out the data and cache from the Media Storage application (before removing and re-importing music)

michaelveloz

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi there
So I'm logged in now, is there something I should do with my original post above, to make it answerable by the general public? Do I need to delete it and recreate it while logged in?

To answer some of the questions from above: Most of the music was either downloaded on my PC years ago, or ripped by me from CD's that I owned. Each time I get a new Pixel (or Nexus before that) device, I've copied these same files to the phone and their genres are noticed correctly and grouped correctly. But This does not work correctly since I'm now using a device with Android 10 (tried on two different devices).

As far as figuring out the genre associated with each of these songs: If I pull up an offending song's properties in an Android music player such as JetAudio, it shows a genre of Pop. Same thing when looking at the properties on the Windows PC. However, I just noticed this morning that if I look at the properties on Android using a File Explorer (such as Solid Explorer) I see a genre of 13! So... how is it that different apps are seeing different genres for songs, and where did this 13 come from??

Screenshot_20191215-084534 (1).jpg

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
However, I just noticed this morning that if I look at the properties on Android using a File Explorer (such as Solid Explorer) I see a genre of 13! So... how is it that different apps are seeing different genres for songs, and where did this 13 come from??
Probably sequential, 1 for the first one, 2 for the second, etc. It might be how you copied them, or where you copied them to.

Also - do other music players show the same numerical genre, or do some of them show the original genre? If you look at them with a file manager, are they in folders named for the genre, or with numbers?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
One of the Mods changed the OP of this thread so that you're the "owner" of that post -- nothing more you need to do!

Like Rukbat, I'd also suggest trying a few different music apps and see if any of them show the Genre correctly.

michaelveloz

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Another clue. Those numbers appear to be the original genre numbers assigned to the v1 standard of ID3.

For example, if you look up 10 in the ID3 standard it says New Age, and indeed all the songs that got put into genre 10 on my phone are New Age songs. So it's sort of like whatever software creates the genres on the phone (Android itself when the songs are chipped to it?) Used the genre numbers instead of the names, but I have no idea why

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad