Why Are Mobile Stylus So Thick?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a Samsung A5 phone. And I downloaded an awesome drawing app. The only problem. The stylus for mobiles is always to big and round . Limiting being able to do fine lines and details. Trust me. It's hard.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
The problem, I believe, is that the generic stylus devices you can buy are simply more for emulating a finger rather than actual tasks that a true stylus would be used for. A true stylus is like what the Samsung Note series devices have, or the top-end Galaxy Tab devices (Tab S3, Tab S4, etc) for that matter. The problem is that those devices are designed with the stylus in mind and have an extra Wacom layer built into the display for sensing the touch (or they used to) of the stylus, giving a more accurate result. Devices not designed for those specific styli (plural stylus, trust me) won't work with them.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I have a Samsung A5 phone. And I downloaded an awesome drawing app. The only problem. The stylus for mobiles is always to big and round . Limiting being able to do fine lines and details. Trust me. It's hard.

then you are not using the right drawing/writing app. I have seen apps that will do thin lines. I cannot remember any off the top of my head but check the play store.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
An "active stylus" has a much thinner tip - but they're also a lot more expensive (around $15-$20 on eBay) and have to be charged when the battery in them dies. Thin plastic styli won't work - the stylus has to act like a finger and with most digitizers that means grounded (like your body in relation to the phone). A thin metal stylus (which may or may not work, depending on the phone) will gouge the screen to the point that it's unusable.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae