How do i get my text messages to pop up on my black screen so that it wakes my phone up?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I had it working fine but then I updated my phone and now that setting is no more. I want it to work like an iphone where I get a text and the screen lights up. I will try and attach a picture of what I had. Samsung Note 10

lhaff37

Jul 21, 2017
Visit site
I had it working fine but then I updated my phone and now that setting is no more. I want it to work like an iphone where I get a text and the screen lights up. I will try and attach a picture of what I had. Samsung Note 10

I have a similar problem with my S10e. If I have the messaging app open, I get no notification when a new text arrives. Doesn't matter whether the display is on or off, no notification. I try to remember to leave it on the home screen so I get notifications.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I have a similar problem with my S10e. If I have the messaging app open, I get no notification when a new text arrives. Doesn't matter whether the display is on or off, no notification. I try to remember to leave it on the home screen so I get notifications.

Which text messaging app are you using?
If you go into your Settings >> Apps menu and open up the entry for your chose text messaging app, there should be options in the Notifications section that might need to be changed.
Check the Notifications menu in your Settings menu too, sounds like the Notifications tied to the lock screen need to be changed.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site

Some apps always/never show the notifications when the app is open, due to the programming decisions by the developer. Some app developers give you a choice. Which SMS app are you using?

If your app does not let you choose to your liking, try the "textra" app where you do get to choose.

lhaff37

Jul 21, 2017
Visit site
Which text messaging app are you using?
If you go into your Settings >> Apps menu and open up the entry for your chose text messaging app, there should be options in the Notifications section that might need to be changed.
Check the Notifications menu in your Settings menu too, sounds like the Notifications tied to the lock screen need to be changed.

I'm using the stock Samsung messaging app.
In the messaging app, notifications for new messages is on.
In settings, notifications for lock screen are on.

I was able to get the screen to turn on when I get a new text message by using aod notify app, but it only helps if I'm looking at it because there's no notification sound and yes, I have a notification sound selected, which I hear if the messaging app is not open.

Last edited:

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
It would seem that the basic stock Samsung app does not have the feature you are looking for.

I use the "Textra" SMS app. It has this feature, which I have turned on.
I don't have a Samsung phone, so I cannot speak about what features the Samsung app has that you might be giving up by switching to Textra or any other SMS app.

lhaff37

Jul 21, 2017
Visit site
It would seem that the basic stock Samsung app does not have the feature you are looking for.

I use the "Textra" SMS app. It has this feature, which I have turned on.
I don't have a Samsung phone, so I cannot speak about what features the Samsung app has that you might be giving up by switching to Textra or any other SMS app.

It worked on my Galaxy S7 with the stock Samsung app, but not my S10e. I guess that's progress! :(

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Is this text notification problem a Samsung or Android problem? Trying to decide where to go to get a phone that works. I've had enough of this crappy S10e!
Are you using the stock Samsung Messages app or a different texting app? If you're using the stock app, have you tried using a different app like Textra? I've had good results with Textra on my S10+.

lhaff37

Jul 21, 2017
Visit site
Are you using the stock Samsung Messages app or a different texting app? If you're using the stock app, have you tried using a different app like Textra? I've had good results with Textra on my S10+.

That's all well and good, but why should one have to install 3rd party apps just to make a phone work like it's supposed to?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
That's all well and good, but why should one have to install 3rd party apps just to make a phone work like it's supposed to?
Sometimes 3rd party apps have better features or work better than the stock apps. I've used Textra with Moto, LG and Samsung devices. It has been better than the stock texting apps on all of those devices.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Is this text notification problem a Samsung or Android problem? Trying to decide where to go to get a phone that works. I've had enough of this crappy S10e!
You might not get audio while your in the app with stock message app but you should definitely see a pop up go in the status bar about the new message , it does on my Note20U.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance