First time poster, many time reader. I have two laptops 1) custom built running Win 10 Pro 2) Alienware 15 running win 10 Home. I frequently plug my Note 9 in via USB and manage pics and mp3's. In the last few months, my Alienware Win 10 Home machine seemed to show my Phone\Music\folders, but not the MP3's in the folders. It seemed like the Win explorer status bar would just hang. Trying to copy a file from my NAS to a music folder would either not work or hangup.

Today, I again didn't see the MP3's in the folders. I got side tracked and came back maybe 15 minutes later and the status bar is still running but I now see MP3's in one folder which has maybe 20 MP3's. In the Music directory, I probably have 6,000-10,000 MP3's.

On my custom laptop, I have always seen the files and they show quickly. My Alienware was that way a few months ago. I know I've had several Win updates on both laptops and the phone over the past several months.

I'm on Pie.

I would really appreciate any suggestions!
    12-28-2019 04:00 PM
    1. It's obviously an Alienware problem, not an Android problem.

2. Is there any difference in the way you're connecting the phone and either laptop? Hub vs direct connect? (I suspect that the Alienware is running its USB ports through an internal hub, not through individual channels, so even though the claim may be USB 3.1 Gen 2 or USB 3.2 [of which there are about 3 different types], the actual thruput speed isn't anywhere near the burst speed. So 6,000 filenames takes a long time to transfer. And maybe Dell worked around that in Windows, but a recent update killed their workaround.)

Unless you're connecting the Alienware to the phone through an external hub, I'd call Dell support.
    12-28-2019 06:05 PM