In Android 8, how can I access the Internet on a smartphone by connecting the smartphone through a USB cable to a computer which has an Internet connection?
    12-29-2019 06:30 AM
    You'll probably have to find an app for this. Android allows you to share your devices internet connection with a PC or laptop but not in reverse. Well not as easily. A quick Google turned up these directions from a Microsoft forum. https://android.stackexchange.com/qu...ough-usb-cable

A quick glance through them and you'll just wish you went out and got a USB WiFi adaptor. Another Google for those and it looks like they can be had pretty cheap, many for under $20.

https://www.google.com/search?q=usb+...=1577620504049
    12-29-2019 06:55 AM
    I have connected the smartphone with Android 8.1.0 to a computer. After that, on the smartphone, I have gone to Settings > Network & Internet > Hotspot & tethering > USB tethering > On.

Next, on the computer, I have gone to Settings > Network & Internet> Ethernet > Change adapter options > Ethernet > Properties > Sharing > Allow other network uses to connect through this computer’s Internet connection > Home networking connection: > Ethernet 4 [the name of the smartphone’s connection].

There is still no access to the Internet on the smartphone. Is there anything else which needs to be done? Do you get Internet access when you follow the above steps on your devices?
    12-29-2019 01:43 PM
    Just wondering -- how does the laptop have an internet connection? Is it via Ethernet or wi-fi?
    12-29-2019 01:49 PM
    The laptop computer is connected through a cable to an Internet router.
    12-29-2019 03:01 PM
    Tethering is to let other devices (like your laptop) to connect to the internet through your phone's mobile data connection - so turn tethering off. Set the laptop up for ICS (if it's running Windows), which will allow you to connect the laptop to the internet through an Ethernet cable, and allow the phone to connect to the laptop via WiFi.

Or get an Ethernet adapter for the phone (which one depends on which phone it is, not on the version of Android it's running), and connect it to the router directly.
    12-29-2019 05:33 PM
    Just wondering if you looked at the directions I posted the link to, which is titled, How to use Windows' internet on Android phone through USB cable, I think it even offers instructions in a step by step way with pictures and everything. If you don't like those directions I got several hits for other articles simply by Googling the question.
    12-29-2019 11:49 PM
    Just wondering if you looked at the directions I posted the link to, which is titled, How to use Windows' internet on Android phone through USB cable, I think it even offers instructions in a step by step way with pictures and everything. If you don't like those directions I got several hits for other articles simply by Googling the question.
    I have followed some of the instructions given in the link, as was described in my previous message. There was still no Internet connection on the smartphone. But I have now been able to set up an Internet connection by using the mobile hotspot option in Windows.
    VidJunky likes this.
    12-30-2019 08:18 AM