Hi
    Huawei P10 Lite-model WAS-LX1A running Android 8
    Contacts were not synced with google, turning on google sync resulted in all the contacts being lost. Restoring Google contacts does not help.
    Does anyone know if these contacts may still be on the phone somewhere and how to get to them?
    Thanks
    Steve
    01-04-2020 09:27 AM
    Have you checked your contact app under settings and account?'ll leave a Link to register so you can communicate here as a guest account you can only post questions but can't reply.https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=409154
    01-04-2020 09:54 AM
    If they weren't entered as Google contacts, turning sync on synced to a blank list. They're probably still in the Contacts database file but ... you have to root the phone to get to it, and you have to understand SQL to change them from 'deleted' to 'active'. (And, of course, you have to install a SQLite editor.)

In the future, make sure that all your contacts are entered as Google contacts - other contacts don't sync.
    01-04-2020 05:58 PM
    Hi Mustang
    Thanks for your link, I can now reply. According to Settings/Apps/Contacts there is 1.52MB data so that suggests there may be a lot more in the database than is being displayed. Other than that I'm not sure what else I might look for?
    01-14-2020 10:37 AM
    Hi Mustang
    Thanks for your link, I can now reply. According to Settings/Apps/Contacts there is 1.52MB data so that suggests there may be a lot more in the database than is being displayed. Other than that I'm not sure what else I might look for?
    Hi, welcome!
    If you open the contact app and go to settings inside there does it show your account to display contacts , should give option your email contacts ,device ect?
    01-14-2020 10:40 AM
    Hi Rukbat
    Thank you for your reply.
    According to Settings/Apps/Contacts there is 1.52MB data so that suggests there may be a lot more in the database than is being displayed.
    I will look into how to root P10 lite.
    If I unlock the bootloader the phone is restored to factory reset, I assume this will clear the contacts database, so maybe I have to find a way to get root access without unlocking bootloader?
    Thanks
    Steve
    01-14-2020 10:43 AM
    That was quick.
    InsidContacts/More/Settings shows Associate Linkedin account and Other Accounts
    Opening Other Accounts shows
    Cloud
    WhatsApp
    google account
    Messenger

Thanks
    01-14-2020 10:48 AM
    That was quick.
    InsidContacts/More/Settings shows Associate Linkedin account and Other Accounts
    Opening Other Accounts shows
    Cloud
    WhatsApp
    google account
    Messenger

Thanks
    So you choose what contacts to be display from there , like my phone I have save to Google account .
    01-14-2020 10:56 AM
    Hi Mustang
    Cloud-nothing, never been set up
    WhatsApp -Auto Sync Off
    Google Account-Syncing contacts here is what caused the problem
    Messenger-Nothing

WhattsApp usually has permission to contacts so even though in these settings Auto Sync is off maybe Whatsapp has a lot of the contacts?

It is my partners phone and she has gone to work, I will look later.
    01-15-2020 04:42 AM
    Hi Mustang
    Cloud-nothing, never been set up
    WhatsApp -Auto Sync Off
    Google Account-Syncing contacts here is what caused the problem
    Messenger-Nothing

WhattsApp usually has permission to contacts so even though in these settings Auto Sync is off maybe Whatsapp has a lot of the contacts?

It is my partners phone and she has gone to work, I will look later.
    Ok let us know..
    01-15-2020 09:07 AM
    HI Mustang
    No luck with that, no extra contacts were shown.

Rukbat said that the contacts may still be in the database but marked as inactive, the problem is how to get to the contacts database file?

Thanks
    mustang7757 likes this.
    01-16-2020 04:49 AM
    HI Mustang
    No luck with that, no extra contacts were shown.

Rukbat said that the contacts may still be in the database but marked as inactive, the problem is how to get to the contacts database file?

Thanks
    Let's see if @Rukbat can help you
    01-16-2020 08:50 AM
    The phone has to be rooted to get to the file (it's a system file). Then you have to search for it, using a SQLite editor, looking for the file with the appropriate data in it.
    01-16-2020 11:48 AM
    The contacts remained on the SIM! We have them. Thank you Mustang for all your help!
    mustang7757 likes this.
    01-17-2020 05:42 AM
    The contacts remained on the SIM! We have them. Thank you Mustang for all your help!
    Your welcome!
    01-17-2020 08:14 AM