Contacts lost when google sync turned on

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi
Huawei P10 Lite-model WAS-LX1A running Android 8
Contacts were not synced with google, turning on google sync resulted in all the contacts being lost. Restoring Google contacts does not help.
Does anyone know if these contacts may still be on the phone somewhere and how to get to them?
Thanks
Steve

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If they weren't entered as Google contacts, turning sync on synced to a blank list. They're probably still in the Contacts database file but ... you have to root the phone to get to it, and you have to understand SQL to change them from 'deleted' to 'active'. (And, of course, you have to install a SQLite editor.)

In the future, make sure that all your contacts are entered as Google contacts - other contacts don't sync.

sevenkte

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Hi Mustang
Thanks for your link, I can now reply. According to Settings/Apps/Contacts there is 1.52MB data so that suggests there may be a lot more in the database than is being displayed. Other than that I'm not sure what else I might look for?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi Mustang
Thanks for your link, I can now reply. According to Settings/Apps/Contacts there is 1.52MB data so that suggests there may be a lot more in the database than is being displayed. Other than that I'm not sure what else I might look for?
Hi, welcome!
If you open the contact app and go to settings inside there does it show your account to display contacts , should give option your email contacts ,device ect?

sevenkte

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Hi Rukbat
Thank you for your reply.
According to Settings/Apps/Contacts there is 1.52MB data so that suggests there may be a lot more in the database than is being displayed.
I will look into how to root P10 lite.
If I unlock the bootloader the phone is restored to factory reset, I assume this will clear the contacts database, so maybe I have to find a way to get root access without unlocking bootloader?
Thanks
Steve

sevenkte

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Hi Mustang
Cloud-nothing, never been set up
WhatsApp -Auto Sync Off
Google Account-Syncing contacts here is what caused the problem
Messenger-Nothing

WhattsApp usually has permission to contacts so even though in these settings Auto Sync is off maybe Whatsapp has a lot of the contacts?

It is my partners phone and she has gone to work, I will look later.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi Mustang
Cloud-nothing, never been set up
WhatsApp -Auto Sync Off
Google Account-Syncing contacts here is what caused the problem
Messenger-Nothing

WhattsApp usually has permission to contacts so even though in these settings Auto Sync is off maybe Whatsapp has a lot of the contacts?

It is my partners phone and she has gone to work, I will look later.
Ok let us know..

sevenkte

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
HI Mustang
No luck with that, no extra contacts were shown.

Rukbat said that the contacts may still be in the database but marked as inactive, the problem is how to get to the contacts database file?

Thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The phone has to be rooted to get to the file (it's a system file). Then you have to search for it, using a SQLite editor, looking for the file with the appropriate data in it.