Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen,

I recently acquired and old but hardly used Vertu Signature Touch and wondered if you could provide any advise

I gather these phones were originally designed for the rich and famous (of which I am neither) until the company went bankrupt!

Being appreciative of anything handmade with affection for design and quality materials, I was happy to get the phone BUT a massive dissapointment is that it seems it can hardly work in today's tech/app environment running Android 4.4.2

Being average Joe at mobile phones I can work out basic update process and google my way around general problems but there is little written to help with Vertu and wondered if you knew a way to force the phone to update to the latest Android system or is this simply not possible as Vertu themselves no longer exist?

When trying to run an update search either on Wi-Fi or 4G I hit the same brick wall with a message stating "connection error. Can not check for update now".

I can run some old apps but later versions are not supported, presumably because the Android operating system is prehistoric, and would love to get the phone updated to enjoy it on a daily basis. PS the connection error is not linked with internet etc as I can browse and use prime video etc just not get past updates!
    01-04-2020 01:48 PM
    Unfortunately, unless someone has done the work to develop the HAL for that device on a later OS it's going to be stuck on 4.4.2. Android can't just be updated, it has to be built for each device.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.
    01-04-2020 03:24 PM
    HAL= Hardware Application Layer - the firmware that connects the particular hardware to Android. (Android says "look for a keypress", but it's the HAL that looks at the screen hardware to see if there was a tap and, if there was, it was on a key. Manufacturers are free to make any hardware they like - but they have to write the HAL for it.)
    01-04-2020 05:09 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Vertu is notorious for making ridiculously expensive bling-blingy phones that have mediocre specs and get no updates. It's stuck on the version.
    01-05-2020 02:18 AM