location sent with caller ID??

rv7charlie

Jan 4, 2020
Visit site
Hi,
I usually operate my Nexus 6P with location services turned off, unless I specifically need access to the GPS (driving with google maps, etc).

Today, I'd inadvertently left location services turned on (but had the phone app's access to location turned off in Settings). I placed a call to a relative while driving in her town (not local to me). She didn't answer, but called me back a few minutes later & asked if I was in her town. She said that caller ID info on her phone said that we were in her town. (?????)

Perhaps this Luddite is the last to hear of this, but when did caller ID start providing *location* of a caller? I'm willing for my number to show up when I place a call, but see no good in my phone giving out my location every time I place a call.

Is there any way to kill this while location service is functional for other apps, or do I need to just look for a pay phone when my privacy needs to be preserved?

Thanks for any help,

Charlie

rv7charlie

Jan 4, 2020
Visit site
Thanks; I'll try the long press trick. I did set up an account after I asked my question; I thought I already had one but never found my login/info, and it accepted the email address I always use for forums, etc, so I suppose I never created one when searching for answers to other questions.

I appreciate the tip!

Charlie

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know, location has never been sent as part of the callerID - neither has the tower you're connected to. (But I've only been at this since long before the first cellphone was made, so what do I know?)