I've had a HTC One A9 for years and with 3-finger swipe-up feature, it is great for casting WHATEVER is playing on my phone to a DLNA Internet Radio (in my case Denon Ceol Piccolo). This can be anything - local mp3 files, cloud/drive files, FM, internet radio music streamed from apps etc. My phone is ageing and I would like to replace it with another HTC, but these seem to be in short supply. I have no problem changing from HTC, but to enable me to cast to my Internet Radio I need to download an APP which should do as my old HTC A9 did. Trouble is - it seems all the Android apps available can only cast local mp3s as well as GoogleDrive /Google Play Music /OneDrive /Dropbox etc. files, but NOT whatever my phone is playing Am I missing something ?
    Please explain in a little more detail than "Run such-and-such App".
    01-05-2020 11:28 AM
    You cast whatever is on your phone to some other device using DLNA. I still suggest DLNAServer.
    01-05-2020 02:02 PM
    I need a bit/a lot more hand-holding ...

I've installed DLNAserver. When I run the app the messages "DLNA Server is stopped" and "Please add shared folders or files" are displayed on the initial screen. I don't think I need to add shared folders/files, as my goal is to cast WHATEVER is being played on my smartphone device to my internet radio, not just local mp3s.

I choose "3 dots">Run and get this popup message "There is no connection to wifi or ethernet".

How does DLNAserver help me achieve what my good old HTC could effortlessly do when I use 3-finger swipe-up gesture???

I need a quick step-by-step guide.
    01-05-2020 02:56 PM
    I need help on casting whatever is playing on my smartphone to my Internet Radio (DLNA).

Trouble is - any Android app I have tried can only cast local mp3s as well as GoogleDrive /OneDrive etc. files, but NOT whatever my phone is playing e.g. FM radio or streaming from TuneIn etc. Moderator Rukbat has kindly helped by informing me app DLNAserver will do the job.

However I need a quick step-by-step guide - not just a 1-liner. After installing DLNAserver, when I run the app the messages "DLNA Server is stopped" and "Please add shared folders or files" are displayed on the initial screen. I don't think I need to add shared folders/files, as my goal is to cast WHATEVER is being played on my smartphone device to my internet radio, not just local mp3s, or music files I have in the cloud.

I choose "3 dots">Run and get this popup message "There is no connection to wifi or ethernet".

How does DLNAserver help me achieve what my good old HTC could effortlessly do i.e. cast whatever is playing to my Internet Radio.
    01-06-2020 11:53 AM
    Duplicate threads merged.
    01-06-2020 12:21 PM
    Email the app developer and ask for step by step instructions (I don't have the source code, so I can't develop the instructions for you.) If the developer won't, try a different DLNA app. The instructions depend on the app.
    01-06-2020 12:26 PM
    I have carried out a lot of research on this topic and it appears the only option is to use Magisk on your new device in conjunction with Air Audio app. I word urge you to take a visit to XDA developers and read the stuff over there. The guys don't take too kindly to being asked for step by step instructions. Try and follow from reading and then shout help if you get stuck.
    Rukbat and Pat Murph123 like this.
    01-06-2020 12:27 PM
    Thanks Galactic Zoo - what I want is obviously far more difficult than downloading a single app! It sounds a bit risky for me to experiment with Magisk/AirPlay, so I'll try plan B - buy a new HTC phone (if that's possible) or get a new battery from a reliable dealer for my olde HTC phone (again, if that's possible).
    01-06-2020 02:22 PM
    Be sure to check any replacement device is able to function the way you need. One thing I couldn't establish during my research was when this became an issue. There's a wealth of information on XDA. Worth a read even if you don't go down the magisk route.

Sorry we couldn't have helped in an easier way
    01-06-2020 03:33 PM
    GZ - just to say thanks again for the help and to mention ... I didn't manage to get a magic app to cast ANYTHING playing on my phone to internet radio over DLNA but at least/at last I found a radio app which allows me to cast my fav genre - namely VRadio - option to cast to DLNA is in Settings. So Spotify+VRadio is as much as I need!
    Galactic Zoo likes this.
    07-27-2020 12:07 PM