I wish Android Central would include "Music / Audio" as a category for evaluating "Best of" phones.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the first to have speakers connected to my home Wi-Fi. And so I'm not the first to be wondering, "What is the best phone to use for listening to my music? Both music from my Hi-Res music streaming service, and my own Hi-Res music from my PC / Mac." (And this specifically means being able to use wi-fi in addition to Bluetooth.)
    01-20-2020 02:22 PM
    I don't think it would be a very worthwhile list. What you are asking boils down to codecs, which are fairly universal.
    01-20-2020 03:28 PM
    I'll leave a link to register so you can communicate here, as a guest account u cant .

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=409154
    01-20-2020 03:41 PM
    It depends on the codecs in the phone (the audio itself is digitized - you can't "save" audio, only files, which are digital - "saving" audio is recording, as in tape, vinyl, etc - CDs are still digitized), the DAC in the phone and the connection (Chromecast Audio? Something else?)

The best phone, with the best codecs and the best DAC, casting with a device that limits the audio, is going to sound 'limited'. Plug a speaker into the phone ... and you're still hearing the digital audio, decoded by a codec, changed to analog with the DAC - so it's not going to sound like analog audio.

If you're an audiophile purist, you're running tube equipment (transistors and ICs still can't match a pair of KT88s in Class A), and digitized audio, unless it's sampled at 200kHz or more, just isn't going to sound like analog audio. The waveform needs at least the 10th harmonic to preserve the shape. And there are almost no sources of 200kHz-sampled audio. Sample a violin at 16kHz, the way a lot of streams do, and it sounds like a signal generator by the time it gets to the E string fingered near the bottom of the fingerboard (and probably at lower frequencies as well) - a pure sine wave (which a violin produces anything but).

So it's really "Which phone/streaming dongle/audio setup, offers the best high fidelity digital Music streaming / casting?" And that takes a lot of research to determine. (Hi-Res refers just to the sampling - the resolution of a 16kHz sample is 1/16,000th of a second. The resolution of a 200kHz sample is 1/200,000 of a second.)
    anon(10181084) likes this.
    01-20-2020 04:27 PM
    It depends on the codecs in the phone (the audio itself is digitized - you can't "save" audio, only files, which are digital - "saving" audio is recording, as in tape, vinyl, etc - CDs are still digitized), the DAC in the phone and the connection.
    For the purposes of this thread, the DAC on the phone doesn't even come in to play. It's a digital to analog converter. Since the OP asked about wireless transmission to the speakers, the only way the phone's DAC could possibly come into play would be if that analog output was then picked up and converted back to a digital signal to then wirelessly transmit to the speakers. That would mean extra hardware, extra programming, and increased signal degradation. I can't imagine any phone manufacturer being that careless.
    Javier P likes this.
    01-20-2020 04:57 PM
    the only way the phone's DAC could possibly come into play would be if that analog output was then picked up and converted back to a digital signal
    No, that would be an ADC. A DAC converts the file to audio, which is what's transmitted. (The "analog output" is produced by the DAC from the digital format saved by the phone as a music file. Phones can't "save audio".)
    01-20-2020 05:00 PM
    No, that would be an ADC. A DAC converts the file to audio, which is what's transmitted. (The "analog output" is produced by the DAC from the digital format saved by the phone as a music file. Phones can't "save audio".)
    That only works for an analog connection, such as with a headphone jack. Bluetooth and Wi-Fi transmissions are digital, so the files are transmitted in their digital form. The device receiving and playing those transmitted filled have their own built in DAC to output the actual audio. The phone's DAC doesn't even enter the equation in this case.
    01-20-2020 05:22 PM
    True in that case - he didn't specify the connection. So change it to "DAC in the dongle".
    01-20-2020 05:27 PM
    True in that case - he didn't specify the connection. So change it to "DAC in the dongle".
    The OP did specify.

(And this specifically means being able to use wi-fi in addition to Bluetooth.)
    01-20-2020 05:30 PM
    "use wifi". How? Use the phone as an audio stream server? Use a WiFi dongle? There are many ways to "send sound" from a phone to an amplifier, depending on what's on the amplifier. (FM radio? Internet connection, as in a connected TV feeding a stereo system?)
    01-20-2020 05:34 PM
    "use wifi". How? Use the phone as an audio stream server? Use a WiFi dongle? There are many ways to "send sound" from a phone to an amplifier, depending on what's on the amplifier. (FM radio? Internet connection, as in a connected TV feeding a stereo system?)
    Probably a Wi-Fi enabled speaker. I don't know exactly how they connect to the phone, but I would presume similar to Bluetooth. Whatever the case, that aspect is beyond the scope of this thread.
    01-20-2020 05:37 PM
    To clarify my original post …
    I am aware that "audio" files are digital files, and that the quality of the "audio" in those files depends on the initial sampling / encoding process. What I want to avoid is multiple DAC / ADC conversions between the digital file itself and the analogue sound from my speakers.
    My speakers are integrated into my home wi-fi. They have built-in DACs. I am wondering what phone / apps can use wi-fi to connect to the speakers and send to the original digital file to my speakers DACs without any additional DAC / ADC processing along the line. Right now I am using a Chromecast Audio dongle with an optical cable, but would like to delete that.

Thanks for all the previous comments.
    03-02-2020 06:39 PM
    Welcome back to the forums. I tried to look into this a bit, but it seems info on exactly how to connect Wi-Fi enabled speakers is hard to find. I would suggest seeing what the owners manual has to say on it, or contact the manufacturer directly.
    03-02-2020 08:22 PM