I have a nokia 4.2 and oh boy, was I misleaded by all these reviews, inclusing the android central one!
    Do you know that when you turn bluetooth on (that I must to be able to sync and push notifications to a smart watch I just got offered), the wifi speed connection drops to around 10% when compared to the speed with the bluetooth disabled? And I found out that this was reported on the nokia foruns on March 2019 and the issue still persists at this moment, after all the android one "updates" since then?
    A review should only be done if you use the mobile for at least a couple of weeks and really-really test all possible combinations and features, because after coming from former microsoft/nokia windows mobiles, my current advice is for the "new Nokia" phones is: while android one is an attractive choice, nokia has very low quality driver/specifics and their fix rate seems to be very low - don't buy these new HMD/Nokia, you will be very sorry afterwards.
    01-30-2020 03:39 AM
    I cannot speak for whether a reviewer is good or not. It sounds like you may have looked at a couple before making your decision but reviews are like opinions, everyone has one, and they don't always jive with what you experience. I mean if I had a dollar for every movie I watched that got stellar reviews when I thought the movie wasn't worth the plastic it was shot on, I could probably watch a few movies with sodas and popcorn for free. Anyway, it sounds like you did the right thing taking several sources into account but there's a few things you may or may not have considered. The biggest one is the source of the review. Did you go out just before you had your mind made up and start looking at reviews or did you research the device for awhile and consider the sources? Again I'm going to use myself as an example, I have a few reviewers that I like. A couple that I really like. I watch their reviews on other devices and products, not just the ones I'm interested in, and they have something that I like, you might say I try to create a bond with them. I consider the good and the bad of what they are saying, and I only really like the ones who have both good and bad to say about a product. Any review that is all good or only points out obvious flaws I typically dismiss. Good reviews can be bought but when the bad starts coming out that's when it gets real. Unfortunately I don't know the Nokia device and if you're looking at a phone that is almost a year old then I would have probably gone to a forum or two and looked at the issues people were posting about with a device that has been out for awhile. Relying on old reviews alone when just like you pointed out, some of those reviewers only had the phone for a short time and probably never made that device their main device. They didn't spend enough time with it to really learn everything about it. Heck even people who bought it probably don't know everything about it, but the people in the forums did buy it, and they are going to be brutally honest about how they spent their money. Plus with reviewers you never know what is important to them. I've seen several who base almost the whole review on the camera on a device and glance over the screen resolution or the speed of the device. None of this is not to say that this is your fault, I'm just trying to convey a bigger picture. If you wanted you could help others by putting this information out there, your post looks a little like a review in itself. Upload your findings to YouTube or find some other way to get the word out about this issue, if you feel reviewers aren't telling the whole story. All it takes is a Google account.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-30-2020 05:09 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Bluetooth uses 2.4 Ghz as well, so it's been known for a long time that it can sometimes interfere with 2.4 GHz wi-fi. Does the problem happen with any wi-fi network, or just your home network? If it's only at home, then log into your router's settings (using your computer browser -- see the router manual to learn how) and try changing the wi-fi channel. The phone doesn't support 5 GHz wi-fi, so unfortunately that solution isn't feasible for you.
    01-30-2020 02:37 PM
    I never really pay attention to reviews when it is something I want or need. not to say I don't read them but I like to decide for myself. I believe most reviews are made by competition, paid reviewers or people who does not have the ability to follow instructions. In addition you more more likely to see reviews from those who are having problems than those who are not.

If it is a blog or an article review, I look to see if there are affiliation links and if the comments are turned off. If that is the case, imo, the review is just for sales.
    VidJunky and J Dubbs like this.
    01-30-2020 05:13 PM
    I have a nokia 4.2 and oh boy, was I misleaded by all these reviews, inclusing the android central one!
    Do you know that when you turn bluetooth on (that I must to be able to sync and push notifications to a smart watch I just got offered), the wifi speed connection drops to around 10% when compared to the speed with the bluetooth disabled? And I found out that this was reported on the nokia foruns on March 2019 and the issue still persists at this moment, after all the android one "updates" since then?
    A review should only be done if you use the mobile for at least a couple of weeks and really-really test all possible combinations and features, because after coming from former microsoft/nokia windows mobiles, my current advice is for the "new Nokia" phones is: while android one is an attractive choice, nokia has very low quality driver/specifics and their fix rate seems to be very low - don't buy these new HMD/Nokia, you will be very sorry afterwards.
    Is there another Nokia 4.2? I looked it up and it said it was first released in May of 2019.
    01-30-2020 06:46 PM
    Is there another Nokia 4.2? I looked it up and it said it was first released in May of 2019.
    My mistake writing the month, the issue was reported on May 2019, so somebody noticed it straight after buying a nokia 4.2. I tested with the smart watch off and after enabling bluetooth the wifi speed drops to 10%-50%, depending on the wifi network, time of day and number of devices connected to the wifi, but most of the times drops to 10%-20% (bad when you go from 40Mbps to 4-5Mbps). Doing exactly the same test at the same time with a nokia 2.2 (also paired with its own smart watch thru bluetooth), the speed drops only to 50%-90% (goes from also 40Mbps to 20-30Mbps, still very acceptable). And I also did the same test with a samsung j5 2016 (quite old) and saw no drop in wifi speed at all with bluetooth enabled (no paired device). And some time ago we used two lumia 650 paired by bluetooth to two different laptops and never saw any drop in wifi speed at all. So the nokia 4.2 is the worst regarding this.
    01-31-2020 03:01 AM
    Did you also try changing the wi-fi channel on the router, as I suggested above? If the speed remains poor, then I agree, the phone is the problem.
    01-31-2020 09:57 AM