Ethernet connection with tablet AND microphone doesn't work

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello... I have a Lenovo Tab 2 A8-50F manufactured in February 2016. The specs say NO WWAN.

3 questions please:

1) With regard to using an adapter to access the Ethernet...

Under Settings, Wireless and Networks, is an Ethernet Configuration tab. When I click on this tab their are 2 options, both in light grey (vs black) letters, as follows:

Ethernet
Turn on Ethernet

Ethernet configuration
Configure Ethernet devices

Does this mean that if I purchase an Ethernet adapter, and plug it in, the grey letters will turn black and I'll have an Ethernet connection?

2) I have seen "WiFi only" Lenovo tablets for sale. I assume this mean there is no possiblity for Ethernet access, true?

3) I banged the tablet and the microphone stopped working. Could the solution simply be having a loose wire welded... or do I need a new microphone... and is the microphone replaceable, or is it fixed permanently to the board?

Thank you!!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) With regard to using an adapter to access the Ethernet...

Under Settings, Wireless and Networks, is an Ethernet Configuration tab. When I click on this tab their are 2 options, both in light grey (vs black) letters, as follows:

Ethernet
Turn on Ethernet

Ethernet configuration
Configure Ethernet devices

Does this mean that if I purchase an Ethernet adapter, and plug it in, the grey letters will turn black and I'll have an Ethernet connection?
You can try, but probably not. According to Lenovo's specs, there's WiFi connectivity.

2) I have seen "WiFi only" Lenovo tablets for sale. I assume this mean there is no possibility for Ethernet access, true?
No, that means there's no cellphone connectivity.

3) I banged the tablet and the microphone stopped working. Could the solution simply be having a loose wire welded... or do I need a new microphone... and is the microphone replaceable, or is it fixed permanently to the board?
Nothing in the tablet is welded, but the mic leads are soldered to a board. It's replaceable - but I'd strongly suggest that you not try to open and repair it yourself. The best odds I give you is that you won't totally destroy the tablet, you'll only destroy a few parts of it. (Getting it repaired after that will cost more than a new tablet.)

Christine Brady

Dec 7, 2019
Visit site
Thank you for your info... Questions please:

1) you wrote "You can try, but probably not. According to Lenovo's specs, there's WiFi connectivity."

Are you saying that the specs say ONLY WiFi connectivity?

And if it can't access Ethernet, why does settings have the above mentioned Ethernet configuration info?

2) you wrote: "No, that means there's no cellphone connectivity."

So a Lenovo WiFi only tablet might be able to access Ethernet, and how would I know?

3) you wrote: "The best odds I give you is that you won't totally destroy the tablet, you'll only destroy a few parts of it."

Wow, this explains why a local tech person didn't want to open it. His English wasn't that good... I assumed he just didn't want my business. There are no screws, it probably pops open with a guitar pick type piece of plastic.

Could a competent tech person open the tablet and solder any loose mic leads or replace the mic, without doing any damage?

Thank you.